Shotgun certificate

barrie0

Just like to say hi as this is my first post but i have been reading this forum for a few months .

Just had my visit for my shotgun cert seemed to go okay ,checked cabinet etc then all he said is it will take about four weeks . Applications been in now for eight weeks . Is this a normal amount of time (this is with gloucestershire police force) .

By the way i have had a licence before when i was 17-20 and worked at gamekeeping so im not that much of a newbie .

Ps If cert comes I will be on the look out for a cheap o/u (baikal/lanber etc)in gloucestershire area if anybody knows any for sale in the coming weeks .

Any way all the best everyone . :thumbs:

Guest Mr Pieman

Welcome Barrie :lol:

It tends to vary between Forces, but you could always give them a ring to see how it's going :thumbs:

Most Firearms Officers appear almost human!!! :lol:

Cheers

PP

Cleveland police can sometimes take7 days from reciept of application to issue of license!! just shows what having a dedicated civilian firearms officer can do?

if you have had the "visit" then you were primarily approved a license, subject to the visit? ie if you didnt come accross a total nutter or he was not happy with your security "arrangements" it will drop through the letter box as and when its dealt with, as for average time I know a chap in leeds waited 10 MONTHS for his application to be processed.

cheers Kw

Funny thing was the police officer who turned up was the same one who turned up when the works van ,trailer ,strimmer+blower got nicked . I left the keys in the ignition and had just popped into someones back garden . Got the van back after about 5 weeks from a gypsy camp . He seemed to find it amusing so the visit went well. :thumbs:

Frankly, eight weeks is riduculous.

I suggest you write a polite letter to the Chief Constable explaining your position giving dates and times. He won't be amused at one of his departments being so sloppy. I did this some time ago in West Mercia and the paperwork was on the doorstep four days later.

Red It's not still Mr Kelly is it after all these years? He was reputed to be the only bloke in Staffs with a Game Licence! Lovely chap. By the way the only large residence for young men I can recall in the County is Swinfen Hall Prison for Young Offenders. Not in there are you with all them shooters?

Eug

Funny thing was the police officer who turned up was the same one who turned up when the works van ,trailer ,strimmer+blower got nicked .

Welcome to the Forum Barrie0

Where abouts in Glos are you? We need a few more Glaws on the site... Introduce a bit of normality and try to educate some of the heathens from the lesser counties. :thumbs: :lol:

Was it PC 1213 David Miles ?

8 to 10 weeks is about the norm for Glos as there are loads of licence holders and new apllications frequently, so any day now.

Cheers for the replies guys .

Fisherman mike ,i am living in sunny churchdown just round the corner from glos clay club (skeet) . Lived in glos for about 15 years now ,I was from atherton ,lancashire originally .Work in tewkesbury but my old man now lives in winchcombe (nice place) .

Dont know who the police officer was but i was clay shooting with two of the glos firearms officers in january at cotswold clay club they seemed a bit hacked off on my last round with them as the first four rounds i was getting 5/10 last round was 10/10 :thumbs: But that was with a strange gun and not shot for 15 years .

Whereabouts are you i would say in the cotswolds at a guess .

Barryo

I live in Chalford nr. Stroud now but was brought up in the Cirencester Area. (See photos I posted on photos forum. entitled Rough shoot

I know Churchdown well, spent 3 years working in Staverton.

Its a small world mate, my Wife is from Bolton just up the road from Atherton.

Know Winchcombe well, typical cotswold wool town have played cricket at many of the local grounds.. especially Dumbleton on of the nicest in the country... A few good pubs in Winch...

FM

Nice pics fm

Cirencester and round that area is spectacular thats near cotswold clay club

http://www.cotswoldcc.co.uk/ at fosse way .

Was it dowtys or the airport i worked on the golf course there for 2 years dont know if you know it as its only 5 or 6 years old (opposite the airport).brickhampton its called .

Bolton that brings back many memories lots of ale, shooting on lord hultons estate, walking on rivington pike , she will know that place .

One of our work sites is in dumbleton turn off evesham road at ellis brothers round the lanes first left at the main houses ,a place called golden hay right at the end . Theres a small field behind it that backs on to the village hall .

Red It's not still Mr Kelly is it after all these years? He was reputed to be the only bloke in Staffs with a Game Licence! Lovely chap. By the way the only large residence for young men I can recall in the County is Swinfen Hall Prison for Young Offenders. Not in there are you with all them shooters?

Eug

Fortunately I am not in HMYOI Swifen Hall Eugene :thumbs:

:lol: no your dad cant sign it has to be outside of your family,the only peps who can sign it are profesional people ie doctor( mp, jp, md) and so on,i got a jp to sign mine 2 days later the chief of police knock on my door in person with my shoot gun cert hows that for service( cambs police force ) :lol::lol: :thumbs:

Was it dowtys or the airport i worked on the golf course there for 2 years dont know if you know it as its only 5 or 6 years old (opposite the airport).brickhampton its called .

I worked for Britannia Construction at Staverton Tech Park Barrieo and I know Brickhampton well, several of us used to go down to the driving range after work or at lunchtime and let off some steam.

I also priced the construction works there but we were unsuccessful.

I have never been to The Cotswold Shooting grounds at Fosse cross, sounds good

I must get up there.

FM.

If certificate comes through i will get my gun and if you like ,meet you up there and have a 50 round sporting, never tried dtl( down the line ) they have that too looks interesting . Bloke who runs it is very friendly and varies the layout and traps every week .

By the way whats the best gun shops in the area (secondhand) ian coley is supposed to be expensive theres supposed to be one in cirencester and the one i thought of going to after looking at internet prices is wilts rods+guns in swindon . Do you know any more .

Cheers barrie

Yes must get together Barrie, I am not a great clay shooter but perhaps I can offer you a day on the stubble in late Summer/Autumn. It helps to have a couple of guns on the shoot and keep the birds moving about.

Chris Coley is a bit pricy as is Cotswold Shooting Company, There is a small gunshop in Wotton-under-Edge called mark Hazels Gunroom which always have a small stock of S/H guns. Wiltshire Rod & Gun are as you say very good I buy a good deal of fishing tackle from them.

What sort of gun are you considering and what sort of cost. Guns regularly come up on the forum for sale and there are some bargains to be had.

FM.

Will let you know about the clay shoot once everything is sorted out .

Gunwise i will be looking at up to £400 wilts rods+guns have a new baikal o/u ste m/c for £395 .

But anything half decent as long as its an o/u (pref single trigger ejecter+m/c) or if fixed choke (quarter+half) or (quarter+three quarters) .

Not too bothered about the make ,my first shotgun years ago was an e.contento (italian) o/u dt n/e quarter+three quarter ,cost £125 and gave me plenty of enjoyment . I cant get on with side by sides or autos/pump actions .

Anyway as stated will let u know when its all sorted ,right off to glos city centre in an hour (have to take the girlfriend out ;) )

• 3 weeks later...

Well at last it came today ,11 wks , Fisherman mike i may be going to wilts rod +guns thursday or friday (have put a deposit down on a lanber field lux n/e quarter+half £225) so when i get it i will pm you about the clay shoot if you still fancy going. :yp: