Donating / Recycling 18V Power Tools for Charity?

neutron619

Hello Chaps,

I wanted to ask the PW Massif for suggestions about what to do with two bags of power tools I inherited from an old work colleague.

The tools are a bunch of AEG 18V battery-powered tools - saws, drills, driver, and so on, which were given to me when he heard that I was planning to rebuild the electronic organ in my lounge, as he thought I'd do a better job with some slightly more sophisticated machinery than I had at the time. (He was right.) I bought a new battery to go with them and got that project and a few others done, but eventually the battery failed (cheap Chinese ****) and so did a second, and they've been slowly replaced with mains powered tools since.

Prior to that, the tools had been destined to go to charity / charity shop and now that I've finished with them, I think I'd like to respect his original plan and donate them somewhere / some way in which they can help someone else.

What I don't know, however, is what the best way to ensure a charity receives the maximum benefit?

I imagine you can still buy cheap Chinese batteries for the tools (the OEM ones don't seem to be available any more) so if someone were willing to risk it, the tools could be sold as they are and used again by someone who needs them. The problems obviously are that that didn't work out very well for me in the long run, and means that whoever ends up with them has to spend money to get them working.

I could also try to find somewhere that will recycle them and donate the profits to charity - but although Google shows lots of people who make a business out of collecting old power tools and recycling them, it's not clear that any of that business is done for charitable purposes.

Or something else?

Any and all ideas would be appreciated.

20 minutes ago, neutron619 said:

but although Google shows lots of people who make a business out of collecting old power tools and recycling them, it's not clear that any of that business is done for charitable purposes.

I think you're rather confused.  Businesses are in business to make money to provide a living for the people who run and work for them.

Charities raise money to do good deeds, and enjoy a more favourable tax position as a result.

Conflating the 2 is a bad idea. 

All these clothing 'charity bags' are, at best a profit share scheme with a charity.  Be under no illusion that these are businesses existing to make a profit, paying the charity for their branding, and giving them a small percentage of their profit, occasionally.

26 minutes ago, neutron619 said:

What I don't know, however, is what the best way to ensure a charity receives the maximum benefit?

Frankly, you would benefit a charity the most by taking these tools to your council's electronics recycling collection point, and dropping £20 into the collection tin of a good cause he cared about.

15 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

I think you're rather confused....

All these clothing 'charity bags' are, at best a profit share scheme with a charity.

No - no confusion at all - you'll struggle to find a harder capitalist than I. :)

On the contrary, what I had in mind was exactly the example you gave of business being done for (partly) charitable purposes.

Nonetheless, £20 in the tin may be the best option.

Edited by neutron619

If they are Ni-Cd or Ni-MH batteries then just send them for recycling, this type of battery has been superseded by Li-ion batteries.

I've spent years taking battery packs apart and replacing duff Ni-Cd/Ni-MH cells, it just isnt worth it.

Edited by Ricko