Freedom of information

Benthejockey

I'm just curious on behalf of a friend of Mrs BTJ how it works to a certain extent. If you make an FOI request to a body about a 3rd party are they at liberty to release the information they hold on the person and do they have to notify that person that there has been an FOI request about them? She wants to make a request to the local child services authority regarding her ex husband and the information they hold on him for a few reasons. But she doesn't want him to be notified about it. 

I think I've got that right I tend to switch off when it gets too complicated! I told Mrs BTJ I'd ask the oracle which is you lot!

Its a bit hazy but my understanding is it's personal information sk they won't give it to her and I don't believe it's covered under the foia. They may tell him depending on the circumstances but doubtful. 

For personal information it would be a dpa request and then by that person or someone responsible for that person. 

If she thinks they should know something then she should tell them. 

First thing is a child at risk by any one. If you feel harm could be done speak to a duty social worker 24/7  and raise the concerns or history they may hold on him. If it is going to court the children will get  a court guardian appointed by the court for the children's views. But always consider any child first

16 hours ago, Benthejockey said:

I'm just curious on behalf of a friend of Mrs BTJ how it works to a certain extent. If you make an FOI request to a body about a 3rd party are they at liberty to release the information they hold on the person and do they have to notify that person that there has been an FOI request about them? She wants to make a request to the local child services authority regarding her ex husband and the information they hold on him for a few reasons. But she doesn't want him to be notified about it. 

I think I've got that right I tend to switch off when it gets too complicated! I told Mrs BTJ I'd ask the oracle which is you lot!

She is probably thinking of 'Clares Law' or more accurately the Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme which is very different to the FOI. The other is 'Sarahs Law' which applies to child abuse. 

These only applies to the requests to the police but may do what she needs. The criteria are quite strict as to what would be a 'need'. 

Anything else will need referring to social services. 

Best of luck.