Name the Greyhound

Jonsey

I need a little bit of help.

My cousins own and race Greyhounds and they are about to have a new litter of puppies one of which they will be keeping to train up to race. They have asked me to pick a name for it and I’m having a little bit of a stressy time over it.

I don’t know if it will be a dog or a bitch so the racing name needs to suit both.

It needs to be unique and can’t be anything like Cadburys Fruit and Nut or Kellogg's Cornflakes. You can register up to 5 words in the name but it needs to be 2 or 3 words ideally. Also it can be words rolled into one such as “haveagooddayâ€

We've come up with these so far in work.

“Spanish Omeletteâ€

“Vice Versaâ€

“Pigeon Postâ€

“Pea Shooterâ€

It's trickier than I thought it would be. I've looked at the racing websites and there's names like Wind Turbine :no: , Electric Shock, After Sun and Piggy Bank. It's going to be hard picking one not already registered I think.

You're a creative bunch so any idea's would be greatly appreciated. ;)

Thanks

Jonsey

Jonsey,

I own racing greyhounds, two run out of Mildenhall and the third one I sold up north to a guy who ran at a flapping track as the dog kept having a go at the others.

Picking a name is probably the hardest thing you'll ever have to do before their born. What are the Sire and Dam names? Its usually easier to pick a first name or last name if you carryon the relations name.

e.g. Droopy's Viera - Droopy's Maldini (obviously a lover of football)

My first dog's I bought from Ireland after he won a big open (Winning dog's are deffo not cheap) name was Moonamoe Jet and as I was working for a company in Wix, Essex, I decided to change the dog's name and have a play on words name Wix Wayround. Assuming the dog's parents are racer's there is a website you can go on to look at past names and see if something sticks out.

Greyhound family history

You can type in my Dog's name and find out its history and see a pic of him uin the trainers car

SS

Jonsey,

I own racing greyhounds, two run out of Mildenhall and the third one I sold up north to a guy who ran at a flapping track as the dog kept having a go at the others.

Picking a name is probably the hardest thing you'll ever have to do before their born. What are the Sire and Dam names? Its usually easier to pick a first name or last name if you carryon the relations name.

My first dog's I bought from Ireland after he won a big open (Winning dog's are deffo not cheap) name was Moonamoe Jet and as I was working for a company in Wix, Essex, I decided to change the dog's name and have a play on words name Wix Wayround. Assuming the dog's parents are racer's there is a website you can go on to look at past names and see if something sticks out.

Greyhound family history

You can type in my Dog's name and find out its history and see a pic of him uin the trainers car

SS

Hmmm, guess I'll have to ask some questions then. I have no idea of the Sire and Dam names but I'm seeing my cousins later so I will get some info.

They race their Greyhounds in Swindon and Oxford and sometimes Reading.

Thanks SS great info I'll check the site out now.

Jonsey

P.S Lefty, you're so rude ;)

I need a little bit of help.

My cousins own and race Greyhounds and they are about to have a new litter of puppies one of which they will be keeping to train up to race. They have asked me to pick a name for it and I’m having a little bit of a stressy time over it.

I don’t know if it will be a dog or a bitch so the racing name needs to suit both.

It needs to be unique and can’t be anything like Cadburys Fruit and Nut or Kellogg's Cornflakes. You can register up to 5 words in the name but it needs to be 2 or 3 words ideally. Also it can be words rolled into one such as “haveagooddayâ€

We've come up with these so far in work.

“Spanish Omeletteâ€

“Vice Versaâ€

“Pigeon Postâ€

“Pea Shooterâ€

It's trickier than I thought it would be. I've looked at the racing websites and there's names like Wind Turbine :no: , Electric Shock, After Sun and Piggy Bank. It's going to be hard picking one not already registered I think.

You're a creative bunch so any idea's would be greatly appreciated. ;)

Thanks

Jonsey

Deefer, (D for dog)

Jonsey,

Greyhound family history

SS

Hmmm, guess I'll have to ask some questions then. I have no idea of the Sire and Dam names but I'm seeing my cousins later so I will get some info.

They race their Greyhounds in Swindon and Oxford and sometimes Reading.

Thanks SS great info I'll check the site out now.

Jonsey

P.S Lefty, you're so rude :no:

;) I blame The good Speverend Rooner.

I am still waiting to see this on any racing animal.

Comeonmyboat :P

LB

Bit like Harry Monk eh, LB :lol:

I have a feeling that Trappers choice may have already been taken.

Try this site as well BGRB website.

Go to Trap six " The action type in any name and it will tell you if they is a dog currently racing with that name. At the same time you can look at the recent races at certain tracks. I just did mildenhall for Monday night (17/09/07) and in the fifth race my Trainers Dog Moonamoe Dasher came second. Below it is the sire and Dam name. If you look at some you can see what I mean about names carrying on through the generation.

Top Honcho is a top race dog, retired and at stud and you can see in that race alone there were three dogs sired from the Droopy stables.

What ever name you choose , it won't make the dog win any easier. I did it because the trainer is a good friend of mine and made for a night out on a friday. You never recoup any monies you spend on the dogs. To me it was fun to do and not about making millions. Word of warning, there are lots ododgy things you can do and get away with if your good to rig races. I was at mildenhall one night when there was an unfancied dog (12/1) in a race which romped home and I was given the nod two days before the race that it would win. Good night for the punter but not for the bookies :)

Whatever enjoy watching it. You can register yourself on that earlier website and fill in the info yourself after each race. Thats what I did and its great to be able to track the dogs pracing history.

SS

I am still waiting to see this on any racing animal.

Comeonmyboat :P

LB

Bit like Harry Monk eh, LB :lol:

I have a feeling that Trappers choice may have already been taken.

Try this site as well BGRB website.

Go to Trap six " The action type in any name and it will tell you if they is a dog currently racing with that name. At the same time you can look at the recent races at certain tracks. I just did mildenhall for Monday night (17/09/07) and in the fifth race my Trainers Dog Moonamoe Dasher came second. Below it is the sire and Dam name. If you look at some you can see what I mean about names carrying on through the generation.

Top Honcho is a top race dog, retired and at stud and you can see in that race alone there were three dogs sired from the Droopy stables.

What ever name you choose , it won't make the dog win any easier. I did it because the trainer is a good friend of mine and made for a night out on a friday. You never recoup any monies you spend on the dogs. To me it was fun to do and not about making millions. Word of warning, there are lots ododgy things you can do and get away with if your good to rig races. I was at mildenhall one night when there was an unfancied dog (12/1) in a race which romped home and I was given the nod two days before the race that it would win. Good night for the punter but not for the bookies :)

Whatever enjoy watching it. You can register yourself on that earlier website and fill in the info yourself after each race. Thats what I did and its great to be able to track the dogs pracing history.

SS

I will have to pull you up on the money thing SS as my uncle breeds kennel loads and brings them over here selling most of them on their first official race.

3-4k for a flyer and costing petrol and ferry home.

The downside is him getting trackside PTS for all the ones that don't make the grade but that's the sport at the moment.

The dogs come from Limerick and are brought on through hare.

LB

That's a brilliant website SS. I’m still loving “Trappers Choice†and a quick search reveals there aren’t any other dogs called that so far. I didn’t search for any names that Lefty suggested :P

I won't be owning the dog (I’ve enough trouble with the 3 mutts I’ve got at home) my cousins have just asked me to pick a name for their new arrival. They have 5 at the moment which they race. I’ve no idea about greyhound racing but when this one is old enough to race I’ll definitely be putting 50p on it.

Rude boy LB :)

Bubble and Squeak's a good one too.

A friend suggested "Lil Bita Luck" and someone else said "Spartacus" all good names :lol:

LB,

Trainers and breeders make good money, because they're in the know :P:lol: Same goes for owners who have lots of dogs. Some of these "Flapping" tracks/rural tracks are renowned for race fixing.

I think I am right in saying that if you have a succcessful dog, you can charge a stud fee of £3-5000 for each attempt regardless of success. The pups when born if again from good winning stock can go anywhere from £250-1,000's. My dog Wix Wayround cost £1,400 but this was after he had been trained and won opens in Ireland before we bought him over here.

I have to say that the Irish are the most hospitable people i know when it comes to british going over there to watch races. Once they find out you are an owner or trainer, they can't do enough for you. No need to buy a drink all night. :)

Go in with eyes wide open and wallet firmly shut is my opinion.

Still good fun though.

SS