Wild Gourmets - Suffolk

Wookie

There you have it... Just watched tonight's episode and the truth that I have known for many years has been shown for all to see on the television thanks to Channel 4. That truth? Suffolk is a fantastic place!

Not only did they get pheasant, they caught pike on the river "Debben" (ok, it's actually called the Deben - pronounced Deeben, but we'll forgive them that) up-river from Melton, but I suspect that they tried for the duck out on Sudbourne Marshes. Can anyone from the Alde & Ore confirm that?

All in all, a cracking piece of telly and me and the GF are now a bit upset we had to sell our weekend place in Ipswich. Ah well, my mum lives in Charsfield so I guess they will have to put up with us once in a while!

Right, I am off to sing "Suffolk the Great" to myself whilst hoovering. Night all!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course it's accurate. If anything, it is not accurate enough!

Suffolk has many fine beaches with fishing to go with it (The British record beach caught cod came from Shingle Street), some very important historic sites and buildings (Did you know that Otley Hall was the home of the man that founded Jamestown in the us?), forests with interesting secrets (Rendlesham Forest has had UFOs you know!), rivers of excellent fishing (some of the ones near my old place were brown trout occupied and had wild watercress growing in places) and beautiful walks along the valleys.

We are also the most easterly county in the UK, so we get to see the sun before anyone else.

So, don't delay! Come and visit Suffolk and you too can enjoy Britain's best kept secret. The county known as SuffolK!

On a side note, the place where the lass went to the walled garden is just down the road from Snape, which has a fine opera house. I'm going to refrain from mentioning the true majesty of the Sole Bay Brewery... Adnams needs no explanation.

(This post _not_ sponsored by the Suffolk Tourism Authority)

Of course it's accurate. If anything, it is not accurate enough!

Suffolk has many fine beaches with fishing to go with it (The British record beach caught cod came from Shingle Street), some very important historic sites and buildings (Did you know that Otley Hall was the home of the man that founded Jamestown in the us?), forests with interesting secrets (Rendlesham Forest has had UFOs you know!), rivers of excellent fishing (some of the ones near my old place were brown trout occupied and had wild watercress growing in places) and beautiful walks along the valleys.

We are also the most easterly county in the UK, so we get to see the sun before anyone else.

So, don't delay! Come and visit Suffolk and you too can enjoy Britain's best kept secret. The county known as SuffolK!

(This post _not_ sponsored by the Suffolk Tourism Authority)

Very well put wookie.

You did forget to tell everyone how good we are with a tractor too.

I enjoyed it, but I accept that this is probably about as good as it will get in the UK.

I am glad they showed the Pike being dispatched and pheasants being shot (the camera may play tricks with perpective but that low bird he took looked like quite a decent shot to me?)

Mrs stuartp got annoyed with how 'faffy' the cooking was, but then we are back to my original comment.

Looks they go stalking in Scotland in one of the programs so I will continue to tune in.

LB, I am farly sure you can watch the previous programs online if you go the C4 webiste.

but I suspect that they tried for the duck out on Sudbourne Marshes. Can anyone from the Alde & Ore confirm that?

wookie i suspect it may have been butley creek or Boyton area, I know most of the Alde and we have most of the shooting on that stretch, there are a couple of private areas so it could have been as the river looked quite wide, but not much to go off, they where never gonna bag up without a deek raft its the only way to turn heads on the Alde!

nice touch calling ducks with a goose call!

Hey, at least they tried!

Just out of interest, what was that gun he had? It looked huge and, since he was using it for both the pheasant and geeses, I'm thinking it may have been a 10ga. It certainly looked long enough to reach out and touch the game flying in.

As someone posted earlier, you can get the whole thing online - just download Channel 4 On demand:

http://www.channel4.com/4od/get4od/index.jsp

I've just rewatched first episode - did they actually hit any of the pigeons - didn't see any go down. I think it was a case of here are some that a decent shot got earlier.

At least they didn't shoot and cook the Blue Peter cat!

I usually like that sort of TV but so far this programme has been a load of **** IMO. Where did they get your man from? He's like a cross between Bear Grylls and Hugh fearnley Whittingstall who takes his clothes of every chance he gets :lol: . Im sure if you didnt know anything about shooting or fishing he would seem very impressive :lol: but to me he makes a big deal out of nothing special?

As someone posted earlier, you can get the whole thing online - just download Channel 4 On demand:

http://www.channel4.com/4od/get4od/index.jsp

I've just rewatched first episode - did they actually hit any of the pigeons - didn't see any go down. I think it was a case of here are some that a decent shot got earlier.

At least they didn't shoot and cook the Blue Peter cat!

Registerd :lol: