Anyone carry a tourniquet?

chrisjpainter

1 hour ago, redial said:

Good point.

I try to avoid Chinese but it's difficult. Can you find them on the High street.

Thanks.

They're a bit niche - reasonably so as you don't want any old numpty walking in to Boots and thinking, 'Baby oil, sun cream...ooh a tourniquet, that could come in handy when I cut my finger in the kitchen.'

Your best bet would be an army surplus store I reckon. The CAT was designed for the military and the British army use them (I think?), so that might be a place to start at least?

is this not old school       wear a tie out of respect  for the game your about to harvest       i can honestly say i have never pulled a trigger on any game  without a tie         its a mark of respect           it doubles up  as   tourniquet            traditions   have a reason 

30 minutes ago, Saltings said:

is this not old school       wear a tie out of respect  for the game your about to harvest       i can honestly say i have never pulled a trigger on any game  without a tie         its a mark of respect           it doubles up  as   tourniquet            traditions   have a reason 

Yes. Because wearing a tie whilst chainsawing is an excellent idea. I can see nothing going wrong there at all...

Also a tie's not a great substitute. Most of the tie is too thin and it's harder to tie it off and maintain the pressure. If the knot slips whilst tightening, it's no good as a tourniquet and you then have to undo it and retie, which wastes valuable time. You also get the same problem as you do with the compression bandages - if it's a femoral artery, there's just too much bone and tissue to make it work effectively. At a pinch, you could get away with it if you use it in combination with a windlass system and you don't have to do it on the upper thigh. It's also a really tricky to do it on yourself on the leg and darn near impossible if you need to get it on your arm. 

If you're going to be in a situation where you've increased your chances of needing a makeshift tourniquet, for £15 you can have something that's actually going to do the job. 

6 hours ago, Saltings said:

i am a cabinet maker trained wit bib and brace old boys shirt and tie tucked in as was their workwear  still a mark of respect      on certain jobs  to date i still wear a shirt and tie out of respect  its my trade  i still leave a penny in a roof with my initials as forefathers   did     i put my tie over my shoulder using power tools as taught to do so    a tie could save a life   on shoot days i wear a tie out of respect for game   if you need help on the hill  it could save a life        tie a knot stick an opinal knife and wrist  if is saves a life  who gives a ****  if it costs     30 and has a name      baler twine and a biro same result  oh by the way           run two huskise and a stiga inc arbourtec to shape beams inc addz  to make new     look like old before           burn the carp out of the be    am  to look old   canturby cathedral and other listed buildings             keep it simple  you dont need a badge to save a life                    drilling rigs      high rise    road works                                                                                                                 take your coat off offering warmth  while  give them dignity    stop staring ****ers                            ive had  5 die in my arms  in my life time   as body pops    died before ambulance  all else ran away      i cant do that     i dont  want 6  i have stayed and  consoles wives kids and gay partners      all loved         i have passed on their wishes to their loved ones       all haunt me until this day            if you can save a life do so    egos costs lives           a nettle root and a stick can save a life      moss can stop bleeding   

Have you actually tried to do it with a tie on an actual arterial wound? And the biro is pretty likely to snap -  especially with bailing twine because it's so thin. And if the casualty is you and you're on your own, with an arterial bleed on your dominant arm, how easy do you think you're going to find it to take your respectful tie off, wrap it into position, get a windlass onto it and tighten all with one hand whilst the other sprays blood everywhere?

I'm sure there are lots of traditional methods that could do a job, but if you've got a severe blood loss injury - even a non arterial one - and the paramedic shows up with some moss, you're going to ask some questions. Same as if your shoot had need to use its first aid kit and it's full of biros, leaves and nettles. Technology's moved on for a reason - it saves lives. So you could use moss potentially laced with bacteria from goodness knows what's been walking, weeing and pooing on it or you could just be organised and open a sterilized haemostatic bandage and stop the bleeding in seconds. 

Holding on to traditional ideas is one thing, but when it comes to saving a life (and I'm not sure why you'd need to highlight gay partners particularly) it's daft to not bother to organise a bit of cheap modern kit that's lightyears ahead of traditional bodge jobs. 

Back to my original example of the cut to the dominant hand. I could get my CAT on in seconds, with one hand. That's surely better than dying because I was relying on being able to get a tie off.

Edited by chrisjpainter

13 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Certainly an interesting read, I don't carry anything for first aid when I'm out shooting, but maybe I should.

Problem is it would likely be wet by the time I came to use it?

Have a brows of kayaking/watersports websites. You can either buy fully loaded up drybag first aid kits or you can get just the drybags splashed with first aid and put the kit together yourself. Being roll top, you can make them as small as what's inside. Just the bags don't cost much, so you can make a bespoke kit to suit your needs. 

image.png.c9ac8d692df92bf8fcd4e46fea7e2dbc.png

Annoyingly, Lomo are out of stock on those things (due in soon) but you get the idea.

10 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Have a brows of kayaking/watersports websites. You can either buy fully loaded up drybag first aid kits or you can get just the drybags splashed with first aid and put the kit together yourself. Being roll top, you can make them as small as what's inside. Just the bags don't cost much, so you can make a bespoke kit to suit your needs. 

image.png.c9ac8d692df92bf8fcd4e46fea7e2dbc.png

Annoyingly, Lomo are out of stock on those things (due in soon) but you get the idea.

I'll take a look and stick it on a watch list, cheers

5 hours ago, Mice! said:

Certainly an interesting read, I don't carry anything for first aid when I'm out shooting, but maybe I should.

Problem is it would likely be wet by the time I came to use it?

Mice, I’ve actually vac packed my shooting 1st aid kit for that very reason, it worked a treat and irrespective of how wet I get, the contents are bone dry.

On 11/11/2021 at 22:58, redial said:

Good point.

I try to avoid Chinese but it's difficult. Can you find them on the High street.

Thanks.

Take a look at SP Services I buy most of my first aid stuff from them.  They sell CATs - well priced and an easy to deal with company.