Six flights in

scolopax

Well, real struggle this season,  but then most are.  Had my fifth blank this morning, not had a duck or goose all season on my club grounds. A very good mate gave me a bit of intel which he himself had be told by a third party. I  thought I would act on this and go for an evening flight.  Result, one Greylag and one Pink to carry off the marsh. If I had been half an hour earlier I think I could of shot as many as I wished. Anyway, just chuffed to get something!

21 hours ago, scolopax said:

Well, real struggle this season,  but then most are.  Had my fifth blank this morning, not had a duck or goose all season on my club grounds. A very good mate gave me a bit of intel which he himself had be told by a third party. I  thought I would act on this and go for an evening flight.  Result, one Greylag and one Pink to carry off the marsh. If I had been half an hour earlier I think I could of shot as many as I wished. Anyway, just chuffed to get something!

Great post unfortunately my season so far been a disaster Regards numbers not that I like to shoot big bags but that’s  Wildfowling lol Just Nice to get out away From the stresses of Life 👍

23 hours ago, scolopax said:

Well done for finally breaking the ice so to speak and putting something in the bag , are you just unlucky , lack of time , live a distance from your fowling grounds or just have been in the wrong place at the wrong time ?

We have had a pretty good season up to now with plenty of geese about and a good number of duck , after all the recent rains and the snow we had yesterday the marshes are now getting soaked and just about every marsh holding enough water to draw in a duck or two ,this can be good and bad , the good bit is the water attract the fowl , the bad bit is we have got miles upon miles of marshes that have from a few small splashes to some totally flooded , living near and handy is a big advantage , having the time to go at the drop of a hat is a bigger  advantage and knowing the tide times , wind direction and where the duck and geese spend most of their time during daylight hours should give you a nose in front when you venture out to outwit whatever you are going after ,

GOOD LUCK and hopefully your luck have now changed for the better :good:

Bit of bad luck really, missed a chance or two along the way but we cannot hit them all.  We have a large number of geese on the river but we have an even larger area of no shooting areas so a lot of the times I went it was a spectator sport watching Pinks flight off the back of reserve areas.  I used to be much more successful when I did many more flights, because a blank flight was often regarded as reconnaissance for another flight a couple of days later. Does not work so well when it is two or three weeks between flights.