Hormonal Sprocker and picking game.

Agriv8

So pip the last couple of times out has started getting hard mound with picked game.

triggers seem to be 

1 in season 

2 she had a picked a  bird that was then stolen by another dog 

3 long receive for 3 or 4 pricked runners (not mine btw ) only dog in the area 

4 seems to be worse towards end of the day !

5 got confused on a retrieve and another gun shot and wounded one this landed near and ran in front on her way back she dropped and gave chase 

6 a mad walked up game day with lots of action for both me and the dog feel this fed her inner dog hunting instinct 

So She seems to becoming more reluctant to release on the dead command. A sit and treat I get a look that indicates this nice pheasant for that dog biscuit - er no.

so last few evenings training with a spare hen for her tea text book 

So gone back a step in training and tennis ball retrieves spot on dummy retrieves spot on most of the time !

The wings will be moved to the training dummy to see what happens here.

any other ideas chaps as I feel need a to nip this in the bud I know spaniels can be hard mouthed compared to labs but can’t fathom a way out of this one so asking you lot for ideas

Further option is book back in with working spaniel trainer to see the me and the dog working 

ps pip the sprocker now 2 and loves to work and please I feel at 18 months she was turning a corner on training listening and dog owner bond. Ps never cussed or struck always reward the  positive and move on from the negative!

thanks Agriv8 and pip !

1 hour ago, JDog said:

I can only comment on no.1 on your list. If the dog is in season leave it at home. It is not fair on others dogs on the shoot.

+1...........some keepers will go balistic if a bitch is in heat ..as the dogs lose their nose for finding the important pricked game.....and if the bitch is in heat at 2 years im not surprised she is hard mouthed........

you can buy a heat scent masker...(spray)........which is next to useless....proberly only to be used beyond the bitches cycle to mask any residuale scent left from the heat

Edited by ditchman

1 hour ago, JDog said:

I can only comment on no.1 on your list. If the dog is in season leave it at home. It is not fair on others dogs on the shoot.

Hi Jdog sorry should have mentioned the 3 male dogs on shoot have all been “fixed” the others are female it’s a small family run 50 bird shoot.

if she had got any interest from any of the other dogs she would have been in her crate.

all guns and beaters were aware before she was let out of the van

regards

Agriv8

Thanks Yes something that smells good worth a try and a good idea !

out tomorrow so will see - I wander if it’s partly me as she slows before getting to me and I know she’s not going to drop it so I loose my calm voice that’s adding to the situation! 

some have suggested carrying her tennis ball and throwing that at the dead comand to break the stand off. 

More idea if you have them and sure we will get there just struggling for a way to break the face off !

Agri

On 25/01/2022 at 20:25, Agriv8 said:

So pip the last couple of times out has started getting hard mound with picked game.

triggers seem to be 

1 in season 

2 she had a picked a  bird that was then stolen by another dog 

3 long receive for 3 or 4 pricked runners (not mine btw ) only dog in the area 

4 seems to be worse towards end of the day !

5 got confused on a retrieve and another gun shot and wounded one this landed near and ran in front on her way back she dropped and gave chase 

6 a mad walked up game day with lots of action for both me and the dog feel this fed her inner dog hunting instinct 

So She seems to becoming more reluctant to release on the dead command. A sit and treat I get a look that indicates this nice pheasant for that dog biscuit - er no.

so last few evenings training with a spare hen for her tea text book 

So gone back a step in training and tennis ball retrieves spot on dummy retrieves spot on most of the time !

The wings will be moved to the training dummy to see what happens here.

any other ideas chaps as I feel need a to nip this in the bud I know spaniels can be hard mouthed compared to labs but can’t fathom a way out of this one so asking you lot for ideas

Further option is book back in with working spaniel trainer to see the me and the dog working 

ps pip the sprocker now 2 and loves to work and please I feel at 18 months she was turning a corner on training listening and dog owner bond. Ps never cussed or struck always reward the  positive and move on from the negative!

thanks Agriv8 and pip !

Is she hard mouthed as in the birds are damaged, ribs crunched in etc, or is she just reluctant to release the bird? 

Hi Lloyd 

she isn’t as soft mouthed as some and here the crunch the more we are not getting a clean release it seems to be getting worse .! Thus my post on ideas to nip this in the bud 

but she’s not crushing them no. runners are a problem as she not learnt to grab the breast or back and has been left with a mouth of tail feathers and I don’t think that’s helping !

two dead in the air that I hit on first drive had no teeth   marks and were not bad retrieving but she was hesitant on releasing and the glint in her eye said she really didn’t want to !

Agriv8

1 hour ago, Agriv8 said:

Hi Lloyd 

she isn’t as soft mouthed as some and here the crunch the more we are not getting a clean release it seems to be getting worse .! Thus my post on ideas to nip this in the bud 

but she’s not crushing them no. runners are a problem as she not learnt to grab the breast or back and has been left with a mouth of tail feathers and I don’t think that’s helping !

two dead in the air that I hit on first drive had no teeth   marks and were not bad retrieving but she was hesitant on releasing and the glint in her eye said she really didn’t want to !

Agriv8

Go and see a professional mate, what area are you in?