Loft Storage

discobob

Just after we moved into this house - we had someone in and put in a loft hatch with ladder steps - and some boarding - for which he lifted a load of insulation (there may be 100mm left under there). Since then my other half has made too good a use of it to be able to easily rectify the issue but with the increasing energy etc..I have decided to utilize my remaining holidays next month to rectify this.

The roof has trusses and I am looking to nail some wood between them to use as ledges for shelves to sit on on alternate trusses to leave gaps to get through to the rest of the house. This will enable me to move stuff off the flooring thats there onto the shelves which will then allow me to lift the boards (the green 2.4 x 0.6 mtr stuff) put some 6*1 inch on with some bracing across and put some insulation in the void to the then lay back down onto the existing ceiling joists. Only this time they will be end to end to give a walkway from one end to the other and will stop it being used for storage

So this gets to the crux of my question - I am considering using treated roofing battens for creating these ledges and shelf structures (although I might go on the hunt for some pallets for the strips across) - would these be suitable? Also would it be a good idea to tie the flooring onto the existing joists using those galvanised twist strips to stop movement etc... - I then plan to bring all the insulation up to this level of flooring which should be about 280mm

Hello, I would not recommend fixing anything to internal roof trusses or using nails, by all means lift the boards and put extra insulation in and use screws to fix back if nails were used, I would use independent shelving with a view of placing over the bedroom or bathroom walls in the loft space

it would be to replicate something like this

https://www.lbsbmonline.co.uk/loft-ledge-truss-shelf-kit

2nd image - and this is very similar to my roof trusses - but I want mine to be a touch higher which means these are too shallow

But every other leg - I would be spreading the weight accordingly and using really useful boxes or similar to store stuff in. Things like keepsakes, Christmas Decs, empty boxes and cases, as well as stuff that is in the garage but only gets used once in a blue moon - like decorating stuff (excluding paint :) )

as for the makeup of the shelf it would be a slatted affair - 4 across the width with two holding them together underneath - the only ones fixed would be for the ledges themselves.

I looked at that sort of kit around Christmas for a Lady, she worked out how much she needed to put in the loft and with a little judicious packing we got it all in without adding those shelves.

I was going to do it with 1" X 1" battens screwed to the verticals and either loft boards or plywood as the shelves.

Good luck.

9 hours ago, discobob said:

it would be to replicate something like this

https://www.lbsbmonline.co.uk/loft-ledge-truss-shelf-kit

2nd image - and this is very similar to my roof trusses - but I want mine to be a touch higher which means these are too shallow

But every other leg - I would be spreading the weight accordingly and using really useful boxes or similar to store stuff in. Things like keepsakes, Christmas Decs, empty boxes and cases, as well as stuff that is in the garage but only gets used once in a blue moon - like decorating stuff (excluding paint  )

as for the makeup of the shelf it would be a slatted affair - 4 across the width with two holding them together underneath - the only ones fixed would be for the ledges themselves.

Trusses will be built with tolerance for loading, not necessarily much but should be enough for general household stuff.

Battens fixed properly to trusses, extending forward a few hundred mm with ply, floorboards or even slats as you suggest should work perfectly well.

Edd

8 hours ago, eddoakley said:

Trusses will be built with tolerance for loading, not necessarily much but should be enough for general household stuff.

Battens fixed properly to trusses, extending forward a few hundred mm with ply, floorboards or even slats as you suggest should work perfectly well.

Edd

Cheers Edd

If there is heavy stuff I may put some shelves on the gable end wall as well