Winchester .17 HMR 20gn - Split cases out of the box

Hi all,

After some advice, experiences. I have recently got a Savage B17 HMR, great compact rifle, great for small field foxing, rabbits, corvids and just plinking at >.22 distances. But noticed a few issues on some rounds while feeding, the head would get pushed into the case, I thought I hadn't loaded the round after the last shot.

Has happened a few times, noticed the cases were split at the neck in all instances. I have checked 1 box of ammo and found case necks split, fresh opened box, seal was intact etc..

Take it back and get replaced for another brand if I can get it, the 17gn federal i have seem to be fine btw.

Thanks,

Ryan

Yep, take them back and let us know which brand they were please. I use Hornady and have never had a problem of split caseseven after firing but I know others have.

oooops sorry...Winchester...yes never used them.  Try Hornady, served me well but of course in this day and age no guarantee because often these things are all made by the same company.

Edited by Walker570

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Yep, take them back and let us know which brand they were please. I use Hornady and have never had a problem of split caseseven after firing but I know others have.

oooops sorry...Winchester...yes never used them.  Try Hornady, served me well but of course in this day and age no guarantee because often these things are all made by the same company.

Im good with the split after firing, more curious about them coming pre split, tskes the fun out of it for me. 

Trouble is the local RFDs don't carry much hornady, federal and Winchester for the most part. The other RFD i do know has the A17 branded ammo is stupid money. Perk of being in N.I i suppose. 

Thanks for all the replies.