Under 18 SGC grant - any experience or tips?

SxS

I know there are a lot on here keen to get their children/young people into shooting.

My lad has been shooting for about five years, had a bit of professional tuition and (perhaps more importantly) you can tell by the way he conducts himself from the moment he gets to a ground that he knows what he’s doing and is safe. He can hit ‘em too…I want to take him to a few other grounds and a couple of sim days this year where they insist on own SGC or being accompanied by an instructor so I think it’s time to try and get him his first ticket.

Really I guess the big question is whether I’m best off just putting in the standard forms or whether things like getting him his own clay club membership, giving a greater choice of references (I could give an assortment of experienced SGC holders who have shot with him), would help the application or hinder it?

We live in the country so I can’t imagine it’ll be the only such application the force will have seen, but equally I know there has been some focus by the media on young license holders.  Wondered if anyone has recently been through the process of applying for a ticket for a young person and could offer any tips?  Thanks!

I'm a referee for a young lad (farmers son) , that has been following me around the farm since he was about five years old . He was 15yrs old when he got his first sgc , and had no problems at all . His feo just called me and asked a few questions about his experience with a gun👍.

I don't shoot with him as often these days , as he's busy working on the farm , but when we do shoot together , I don't take him shooting,  he takes me . He chauffeurs me around in the 4x4 with the heater on 😁.

I know, I know I'm in the wrong century, but as there's not enough Mel b3s to go around, wouldn't it be great if you could contact one of the shooting associations as appropriate and find out when they have their next beginners' course in your neck of the woods. Something half decent ending with, say, practical and theoretical assessments and if applicable a certificate which might just make the application process a tad easier. 

Thanks guys. I’m leaning towards getting him CPSA or BASC membership before his application goes in and then explaining more about his shooting experience in a covering letter, which will then also allow them to understand more about why he’s looking for a cert. 

Hopefully we don’t hit any barriers, but you never know these days!

I was counter signatory for my shooting buddy lad.

covering letter needs simple bullet points of why he needs a shotgun cert of his own.

this can include clay and game shooting. Also mention that you wish all your guns to be ‘dual licensed’ as this meany your son can sort the guns out if anything should happen to you 

I did this with my dads guns

If you live rurally I can’t see him having any problems at all, whether he has land to shoot on or whether he’s just into clays. 
Just clay pigeon shooting is a simple enough reason for owning one, not that you need ‘good reason’ for a SGC, and there is no requirement to join any organisations unless you want to. 
My nephew had his first ticket at about 12 I think, and it was never an issue. 
Go for it, the more of us the better.