Larsen trap

MirokuMK70

I'm becoming increasingly infuriated by the amount of magpies in my area, there can be 4 or 5 in my garden at one time at the minute and i can constantly hear them hunting.

What are the legalities for running a larsen trap these days? I've got a flat pack one that I've not used for some years but i believe the legal position has changed regarding corvids...?

Remember to deal with any caught birds well out of sight. I pop them in a small hessian sack and deal with them in the shed. I was once asked by a neighbour that had witnessed my putting the bird into a sack, what was happening to the birds. I explained that my S in Law worked in Manchester and he was letting them go there. Problem sorted.

20 hours ago, Westley said:

Remember to deal with any caught birds well out of sight. I pop them in a small hessian sack and deal with them in the shed. I was once asked by a neighbour that had witnessed my putting the bird into a sack, what was happening to the birds. I explained that my S in Law worked in Manchester and he was letting them go there. Problem sorted.

I get taking them away to despatch in private - but we must not be ashamed to tell what we do - we must try and educate people 

7 hours ago, jall25 said:

I get taking them away to despatch in private - but we must not be ashamed to tell what we do - we must try and educate people 

NOT if you happen to be Force Wildlife Liaison Officer and running a Larsen in your back garden. Remember  both the RSPCA and the RSPB have tried to prosecute people who were running a trap in their garden.  My reason was, there was an established shoot on the land adjoining my garden and I was assisting with their ongoing vermin control programme.  You may just struggle to defend the use of a trap in the garden of a property in a built up area. I did not want the unnecessary hassle. My explanation appeased the complainer.