thank you old'un

MacSxS

I was very fortunate to be invited by old'un to shoot some pigeons on one of his permissions.

We met up last Monday 10am on a fresh cut barley field. There was some pigeons about but there was no standout flight line. We watched this for about an hour, before coming up with a plan.  A flight line was starting appear so old'un suggested  I shoot at a few to see if it made any difference to the emerging flight line ( which it did, it moved a little further down the field ). I set up my hide under the flight line, tucked into the hedge and put out the magnet and decoys, using the few I managed to shoot from standing under the trees. Old'un went for a drive round before before settling in the shadow of some trees and started to pick them of like driven birds, 

it was an amazing day, and as always Learnt a lot from Old'un, I shot some good birds and missed some that nobody should miss ( I think some would have been harder to miss 😔)

by 4pm i was done. i had been sat in the sun for about 4 hours and was melting, So we decided to call it a day, and finished up with about 105 down and 88 picked. 

after getting home it took me 2hours to breast out the birds and get them in the freezer. there is going to be pigeon burger on the menu at our next BBQ!

thanks again Old'un, your a star.

20 hours ago, MacSxS said:

I was very fortunate to be invited by old'un to shoot some pigeons on one of his permissions.

We met up last Monday 10am on a fresh cut barley field. There was some pigeons about but there was no standout flight line. We watched this for about an hour, before coming up with a plan.  A flight line was starting appear so old'un suggested  I shoot at a few to see if it made any difference to the emerging flight line ( which it did, it moved a little further down the field ). I set up my hide under the flight line, tucked into the hedge and put out the magnet and decoys, using the few I managed to shoot from standing under the trees. Old'un went for a drive round before before settling in the shadow of some trees and started to pick them of like driven birds, 

it was an amazing day, and as always Learnt a lot from Old'un, I shot some good birds and missed some that nobody should miss ( I think some would have been harder to miss 😔)

by 4pm i was done. i had been sat in the sun for about 4 hours and was melting, So we decided to call it a day, and finished up with about 105 down and 88 picked. 

after getting home it took me 2hours to breast out the birds and get them in the freezer. there is going to be pigeon burger on the menu at our next BBQ!

Excellent report on what sound like a very good days shooting , I am glad everything worked out well after all the planning that goes into fixing up a days shooting for a friend or another member .

THANKS again for the report and well done to Old'un for putting all his past experience to good use :good:

16 minutes ago, the hitman said:

Nice report of what sounds like a great day out and with a cracking bag.

I love the kind of flightline shooting that you described- it is indeed like shooting driven birds.

Thanks it was an awesome day , I can see the appeal of shooting pigeons like driven game birds, I think Old'un prefers it now-a-days to shooting from a hide. 

On 15/08/2022 at 12:41, MacSxS said:

Glad you enjoyed it mate, if I was you I would put a bit more shot in your reloads.:)

It was bloody hot but the birds were coming nicely and you took some nice birds, although as I said to you later in the day, you would have shot a lot more if you had moved into the next field but that's the way it goes sometimes.

yep, I bet they took some processing, don't suppose you will need any more for some time.

I also enjoyed the day standing further up the hedgerow and taking them as they come over the ash tree, my type of shooting now.

Farmer phoned me on Sunday to say they had combined the two wheat fields and they were blue with pigeons, was going to phone you to see if you wanted another day out but then the weather man said heavy thundery down pours, I don't do wet weather shooting any more, will see what its like later in the week and let you know.:good: