Gun cabinet in the garage

cartridge

Is it possible

I have just moved in with me mum and because i have a little sister(2) and a little brother(1).

She says i can put one in the garage can , it is connected to the house but you have to go outside to enter it ,it has a big car acsess door and i heavy normal door with 2 mortice locks ,and in the only stright corner it has pipes so i have to put it just next to the pipes is that ok to put a gun safe in there its a 2/3 safe .

tulkyuk

Your answer is not strictly correct.

Whilst not ideal, provided that the garage is integral to the house, and has a security level equivelent to the rest of the dwelling the garage may be considered as an option subject to other areas of the dwelling having been deemed unsuitable.

Thats my drift from the Firearms Law Guidance for Police.

webber

Visitors normally go in the kitchen is it ok to put it in the mop cupboard, it has a door to cover what is inside the cupboard.

sounds like the ideal place, away from visitors eyes. The garage option will just cause you grief IMHO after all you'd have to secure the garage well and by their very nature of having a large door thats easy to leave open they are far from ideal

If a big dude with a crowbar can't get into the thing (this is what it's designed for), what chance do the little kids have :good:

Tell your mum she's being daft!

little kids may be tempted to try and find the keys one day, knowing that the guns are in there.

Went looking at bigger houses as Mrs BigGun1 thinks the family needs to be expanded :good: . The first house we looked at had a garage built onto it and in the garage was a bl@@dy huge cabinet :good: Started talking to the old boy that owned the house and he said plond were not keen on it being in there but his missus didn't want guns in the house and they gave in....on the previso that he alarmed it, one B&Q shed alarm later happy days.

So get your mum to phone up and give um hell!! worked for him!

PS I think it's a bad idea as garages are damp and cold....guns don't like that! :(

Went looking at bigger houses as Mrs BigGun1 thinks the family needs to be expanded :good: . The first house we looked at had a garage built onto it and in the garage was a bl@@dy huge cabinet :good: Started talking to the old boy that owned the house and he said plond were not keen on it being in there but his missus didn't want guns in the house and they gave in....on the previso that he alarmed it, one B&Q shed alarm later happy days.

So get your mum to phone up and give um hell!! worked for him!

PS I think it's a bad idea as garages are damp and cold....guns don't like that! :(

Me and my mum have agreed on the location of the gun cabinet ,she said she, does not want it upstairs (kitchen downstairs everything else upstairs,its a 3 floor house).

:good: I have a 1and half ton safe in my garage, which is secured with both key and combination locks, the door is 5inch thick and the sides /top 3inches thick, as the garage is at the top of my garden the FAO was not happy and said I must have a normal tin box type which must be secured in the house to a solid brick wall, so thats what I did,I did not like to say I could get into the tin box safe in about 5 min, flat (I am a retired safe installer/engineer) I use the real safe now for my air weapons only.

Used a bosch drill to fit it ,its a hammer drill with masonary drill bit but it would not penatrate the hardened concrete, house support, do you think i should just get someone out to fit it? will they be able to get though?.

you may have hit a steel bar in the wall.

if it is just the concrete, you will want a carbide grade bit and a seriously heavy duty hammer drill, not a battery one.

Don't get someone in to fit it, it sounds like you've hit some metalwork. Use a HSS (not the hire place) bit to try and get past the metal (take the drill off hammer for this) if you get past the obstruction, go back to a masonry bit and stick the drill back on hammer.

Cheers

cartridge

You need an SDS drill bit the size that you require, and a drilling machine equiped to take SDS drills, you will need one with some balls. You can buy a new machine in B & Q for around £30. If you have any mates who are plumbers or window fitters they will probably have the gear in their van.

webber