Waiting for paint!

Scully

Client let me down ( again ) this morning as paint still hadn’t arrived ….he had almost two weeks notice of me starting at his place! 🤷‍♂️
Anyhow, stubbles about two minutes walk away had attracted a lot of corvid attention at the weekend so prepped last night and was set up by a leisurely 0830 this morning. 
Had my back to a hawthorn and elder hedge with a field of really impressively leafy fodder beet on its other side, then settled down to look directly into the sun as it made its way slowly westward, and with this in mind had brought my trap shooting glasses, which were a boon. Miffed to discover that really annoying breeze was still an issue. I think the only time it’s stopped blowing this year was during the really hot spell we had. 
Brought my Primos call and due to the fun I had on the clays last week, had with me my Winchester 8500 trap, fixed choke at ‘tight and ******* tight’! 
I didn’t have to wait long after setting out a few crow deeks ( which I would continually replace with the real thing with each one shot ) and sure enough along came a couple which I missed no problem at all! Not the start I’d expected. 
Next to arrive was a small group of jackdaws, squabbling and calling as they neared. I stood up to discover it was a much bigger group than I realised, and was extremely chuffed to shoot a left and right. 
Then another miss as one flew directly across the sun, which wasn’t really an excuse as these glasses are really quite good. 
While jackdaws wheel about, I’m always impressed with the way crows simply drift about, sometimes checking things out from a good out of range height, while others just drift in at about head height, straight into the shot pattern. 
Shots mostly consisted of singles, with the exception of two lefts and rights, and I was aware of the big heavy trap gun whilst being great for swinging, not being great for stopping then setting off again in the opposite direction as one of a pair would flare off. But it is what it is and I had great fun. 
At one point saw something at about 10 o’clock through the net, which looked like a head bobbing along the top of the stubbles! Stood up to get a better look and sure enough a woman I know from the village shouted with a smile ‘Dont shoot me’! I unloaded the gun as her and a friend appeared, then their three dogs! Her little Staffie showed great interest in the bobber, bobbing just out of reach even when jumping, as it and a sheepdog and a little cocker sniffed about amongst the dead birds in the pattern. 
We had the craic before they sauntered on and left the field through another gate. 
Shot of the morning was a 10 o’clock high jackdaw which spotted me as I stood ( I was convinced it must be the glare from my sunglasses as it happened time and again) and simply turned to let the wind aid it’s escape. It was fast disappearing when I whipped those barrels through to see it fold up and come down like a dart into the fodder beet. There were some impressively long kills, and it was a fair trudge across the soft field at times to set right each and every bird that landed on its back with its feet in the air! 
Miss of the day was a completely overhead hanging bird which I missed with both barrels! 🤷‍♂️
After a lengthy quiet spell I called it a day just after mid day with 36 birds killed, most of which were jackdaws, and included 1 pigeon, for 68 cartridges. Well chuffed. 

Nice write-up Scully, :good: why do Jackdaws always look bigger when they are flying? pick-um up and there's nothing to em.

Now get back to work and get that painting done, :) mind you if we get the rain they have predicted this week you will not be doing much outside painting.

6 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Nice write up 

Thankyou. 

2 minutes ago, old'un said:

Nice write-up Scully, :good: why do Jackdaws always look bigger when they are flying? pick-um up and there's nothing to em.

Now get back to work and get that painting done, :) mind you if we get the rain they have predicted this week you will not be doing much outside painting.

They do don’t they! No idea why. There were a lot of immature birds amongst them, if primaries were anything to go by. 
Indeed. Saw the local forecast, not good! 😕

36 minutes ago, London Best said:

Well done and a nice story.

Pity it cost you a day’s wages, but that’s people for you.

Thankyou. 
People want me there in an almighty rush, then when I get there they’re not ready. It’s just the way it goes. 🤷‍♂️
Had a good day out though!🙂