Paint by numbers goat hunt (NZ)

Houseplant

I think it's true to say that most of us who take part in hunting and fishing eventually find a formula that works in a particular situation and stick to it. That applies to my goat hunting. As usual, the main impetus for getting out was running out of meat in the freezer, but that aside, I do enjoy these short trips. They are somewhat physically strenuous without being over the top. 

Got to the top of the mountain at first light. Mist added to the atmosphere.

IMG-5501-2.jpg

No animals seen on the farmland. Not unusual, but sometimes I get lucky. In to the bush, same story over the next 4km. Nothing seen, heard or smelt. No sign either. A bit of a worry. Had cullers been through "my" forest?

IMG-5511-2.jpg

Took a break and decided to turn back.

IMG-5505-2.jpg

As is often the way, I came across some animals on the return journey. I get up too early for the goats sometimes! Two young billies were grazing on the paddocks. Took the first, made sure it was down, then saw the second had made it's way in to the bush. Gave it a "bleat", the animal stopped and turned giving me a successful broadside shot. 

Goat.jpg

On to the bush butchery. Over the years, I've developed a simple cord and carabiner kit for getting animals off the ground. It works well for small to medium size animals. Back and front legs taken from both animals, as well as backstraps.

IMG-5515-2.jpg

The walk out was pretty uneventful, although I did spot three goats close to some farm buildings. I've never seen them so low or close to a built up area. 

IMG-5520-2.jpg

IMG-5518-2.jpg

An enjoyable and productive morning. Covered 8km over steep farmland and bush.

FatMap.jpg

Final stages of meat preparation at home. 

IMG-5522-2.jpg

7 hours ago, billytheghillie said:

Excellent houseplant, what a stunning country you live in. On that first picture i was looking for Bilbo baggins and the rest of the hobbits.

Thanks.

5 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Nice one.  That rifle looks very similar to my TC Encores but slightly different p[rofile on the action. ??????????????

I have six barrels for mine from 17Rem up to 375JDJ, through 7-30 Waters and 300H&H. Two wildcats ..well semi wildcat the 22BR and my own design wildcat 257RRI.

Multiple barrels would be great, but I'd stick to more mainstream calibres as I don't reload and we are suffering serious ammunition shortages at the end of the planet.

1 hour ago, Rim Fire said:

Well done 👏 you got some fantastic scenery and good shooting. Do you always do the field butchery is it because of the extraction and cuts down on the weight you have to carry out 

Exactly. Even with these two small animals on what would be a "short" walk out by local standards, it would still be two trips for me. I've done it before and wouldn't recommend it! Pretty dangerous too on steep, slippery terrain. I would have processed these particular animals at home in exactly the same way, so no sense in carrying out skin and extra bone. That said, next time I get the opportunity for a head shot, the animal will come out whole for a spit roast.