When is it time to say good bye?

lister1

5 hours ago, lister1 said:

16 is a very good age. She was certainly a character.

I remember you being unwell on that day now that you mention it.

I have been a member for a couple of years now but hope to rejoin now I’m on top of work and getting my house sorted.

Just a little update.

Poppy is doing well but we’re taking it day by day.

She’s happy plodding about the field out the back and eating well.

we have a rat in the garden, under the shed, which is also keeping her entertained.

Thanks for the advice.

I have tried having her in the house, as I thought she would be more comfortable but she gets too hot and unsettled. I have tried her in the house before and she has never really been happy in the house. 
I think they get used to the conditions the live in. 

Glad she's still going and sounds like she's still enjoying life, which I think is the most important point.

When she's having more bad days than good and doesn't want to get up, eat like she used to, or take any interest in life in general you'll be in no doubt that it's time. Good luck, I don't envey you and dread the inevitable day myself. 

• 4 months later...

We made the decision to say goodbye on Saturday. Poppy became worried at night, her eyes were bad and her hearing was poor, and she couldn’t recognise anyone in the dark. The cancer had spread to the lymph nodes also. She was 14 years old.

We also had to have my other dog put down, she had a cancerous tumour in her mammary gland, which she was living with, but I found a lump under her leg, it’s likely the cancer had spread. She was 12 years old. 

The kids are devastated but they understand that letting them suffer is not best for the dog.

This Poppy

462545CF-72D9-4F5E-A40A-5C759C8627EB.jpeg

This is Teasel.

C9F463CB-0E7A-48EB-8A6A-8687D6630F7F.jpeg

On 01/05/2023 at 06:22, lister1 said:

We made the decision to say goodbye on Saturday. Poppy became worried at night, her eyes were bad and her hearing was poor, and she couldn’t recognise anyone in the dark. The cancer had spread to the lymph nodes also. She was 14 years old.

We also had to have my other dog put down, she had a cancerous tumour in her mammary gland, which she was living with, but I found a lump under her leg, it’s likely the cancer had spread. She was 12 years old. 

The kids are devastated but they understand that letting them suffer is not best for the dog.

This Poppy

462545CF-72D9-4F5E-A40A-5C759C8627EB.jpeg

This is Teasel.

C9F463CB-0E7A-48EB-8A6A-8687D6630F7F.jpeg

I am sorry for your loss pal, it only seems like yesterday that Teasel and Ping pong were running around the marsh together. 

Age catches up with all of us 

Screenshot_20230504_080828_Gallery.jpg

Sorry to hear she's gone, I know from experience it doesn't feel like it but take comfort knowing she was obviously much loved, cared for and the final kindness you've done her, to end her suffering before it became too much for her to cope. The only thing in pain now is you, which makes you the best owner a dog could want. Which is more than can be said for many these days 👍