Eating coarse fish?

Houseplant

On 28/12/2022 at 12:23, billytheghillie said:

Grayling are very fussy fish, they will not thrive in any polluted water courses, the water needs to be near 100% clean. Up here on the Tweed and the Teviot the grayling get to good sizes, 3lb+ is not uncommon. They are a good indication that your river is in a good healthy state.

Billy, do any stretches allow Grayling fishing using coarse methods?

Once, pre covid, when touring Ireland with both a fly rod and spinning rod in the car I would often stop and discuss fishing prospects with local fisherman. On one stop I was asked if we had problems with Easter Europeans taking fish. I said in many areas, yes. To which came the reply along the lines of “We did too, so we told them that if they continued to do so they would be unable to work for a while and walk with a permanent limp after that. And it was no use complaining to the Garda as he said we could give you this warning. The problem stopped”

Now, this could have been a wind up at my expense. But somehow I doubt it.

• 2 weeks later...

Visited some family in Italy and had an ice cream by a lake. Can't remember the lake but it was huge, usual Italian fair and very pretty. A Chap was fishing nearby and I asked the inlaw (native) what he was catching, was told the lake was dead and fished out. He asked if i wasn't curious why I hadn't seen any birds, all had been **** apparently. He had a point I hadn't seen one I the week we were there. No reason to doubt him. In the 2 hrs I was there the chap didn't catch a fish  

On 17/01/2023 at 09:50, Bobba said:

Once, pre covid, when touring Ireland with both a fly rod and spinning rod in the car I would often stop and discuss fishing prospects with local fisherman. On one stop I was asked if we had problems with Easter Europeans taking fish. I said in many areas, yes. To which came the reply along the lines of “We did too, so we told them that if they continued to do so they would be unable to work for a while and walk with a permanent limp after that. And it was no use complaining to the Garda as he said we could give you this warning. The problem stopped”

Hello, I do not think so , way before COVID in southern Ireland it was pike that was the main course fish taken by foreign fisherman, like UK a few years back carp was the preferred fish on polish dining tables,

On 28/12/2022 at 18:13, Dougy said:

With the decline in course fish in most of our rivers now i dont think any should be taken, i fished the Dove and bagged silly amounts of Barbel and chub but nowadays you would be lucky to catch 2 or 3. 

The increase in eastern Europeans taking home what they catch has not helped, add to that the increase in the amount of Cormorants and poor river management. 

Hello, a few years back it was rife on the Thames where I've seen them take shopping bags full of fish, it still happen further down stream around Reading as I know from a rowing club member who is out on the river early and sees the poachers in boats, they have even taken swans

On 17/01/2023 at 09:50, Bobba said:

Hello, did you fish any where in County Clare ?

5 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, did you fish any where in County Clare ?

The problem I described was not in Co Clare but I did fish a lake somewhere outside Kilrush. Blanked. Ticket issued by a local garage and info from O’Sullivans in Kilrush

50 minutes ago, Bobba said:

The problem I described was not in Co Clare but I did fish a lake somewhere outside Kilrush. Blanked. Ticket issued by a local garage and info from O’Sullivans in Kilrush

I have been to Co Clare many times staying in Ennistymon , sadly my friend and his wife passed away a few years ago but we fished Lickeen Lough up in the Burren,