Advice needed please

mattyg1086

Ok guys this may take a while to write so bear with me please. I commute around 40-50 miles each way to work and my place of work is just inside this new ULEZ expansion zone.  I used to have a diesel Vectra that I ran up to 234k miles before I got a new beast last year an A3 1.9 TDI.  Fantastic on fuel and suits my needs for the motorway slog.  The problem is it's not ulez compliant and I don't know whether to get finance on a newer, expensive diesel that meets the new regs or just get an old petrol barge that is average  on fuel like a V70 2.4 petrol ( supposed to be bullet proof and do 40 mpg on a run)   anybody else in the same boat as me?  I'm reluctant to spend too much on the car as my mileage renders it worthless after 4 or 5 years.  Just want a comfortable reliable car.

2 minutes ago, mattyg1086 said:

One of the new ones?  Which model are we talking and petrol or diesel?   Thanks for the reply

Its a 2018 plate,automatic all wheel drive, 1.6 petrol. I checked on that site and you dont pay for it. Also very good, with all season tyres on it in the snow. Model is Allgrip.

New ULEZ starts in August so you've six months. How far "just inside" is the new workplace? Near enough to park outside and get a bus? My Mazda 2 1.5 Sport is a 2008 petrol and is Euro 4 category. So older petrol cars will pass muster. You can anyway check the status before you buy of you've the intended car's registration number. It takes but a minute or less.

Edited by enfieldspares

17 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

New ULEZ starts in August so you've six months. How far "just inside" is the new workplace? Near enough to park outside and get a bus? My Mazda 2 1.5 Sport is a 2008 petrol and is Euro 4 category. So older petrol cars will pass muster. You can anyway check the status before you buy of you've the intended car's registration number. It takes but a minute or less.

So I work at a north London hospital very near to you if you are in Enfield right by the A1M  and I live in Bedfordshire.  I start at 6 am and finish at 3 pm so I won't be able to catch a bus and don't fancy the added time it would take and expense anyway. 

Hi Matty

A different perspective

1 Sell your car to someone in the "north" who wont have the hassle of ULEZ to get the best price

2 if you have free/discounted parking atm it is worth a lot of time and hassle. Leaving your car at the edge of ULEZ will become a nightmare as so many people will be "dumping" their cars on their commute.

3 if you are NHS staff or qualify for NHS discount explore the discount schemes available for buying a new vehicle. Check your union perks if you are in one or look at a site like this one.  https://healthservicediscounts.com/motoring/buying-a-car

4 Dont wait until August before doing something I think there will be a mad rush to trade in cars over the summer and you may be able to squeeze a better discount now.

All the best and thanks for being part of the best medical service in the world in spite of the hassles 

cheers

gdaphil