ferreting rats

Tom Robinson

on a farm where i have been lamping there loads of rats around the yard and hedgerows

i lamp them with an air rifle but this is not effecting the population and the farmer wants them gone

i have 2 ferrets that are great for rabbits and wondered if its safe to use them on rats?

what are your oppinions and what other effective methods would you suggest for killing them in large numbers?

Agree with mossy on this one, I have lost a ferret to rats as jills are better suited to the holes but when they come across a doe rat defending young it is not nice. An old chain saw with the blade removed running on a poor mixture of oil/petrol and a short length of pipe from exhaust to hole or placing the exhaust directly over the lowest hole and revving will do.

Best bet is to have a couple of terriers waiting above ground, although most dogs will go for rats after a couple of sessions watching terriers.

If shooting them then go for open chokes and clay cartridges, above all stay safe and set parameters for shot placement, once they start to bolt all hell breaks loose. If shooting them isnt an option you can have some fun with a fine mesh long net and a hazel swish, remember to swing at them rather than try to hit them. Rat hockey anyone ?

I have used ferrets on rats in the past with no injuries, or other problems and it hasn't affected their ability to move rabbits.

I should mention that I have mainly done this where smoking out, shooting, or terriers, wasn't really a good option.

If you have access to the equipment and a couple of guns or dogs, then thats what I would do in the circumstances you describe.

I won't flush rats where there are dogs and guns working together.

Great fun to be had! <_< Was doing this last weekend, at one stage one of the jills came out with blood on her face- and I thought oh dear she's obviously been on the recieving end from a big rat- but not at all, I think the rat was the only one who took a beating, not a mark on her :blink:

Never seen rats climb trees before- spindly trees and hawthorn in a hedge- but impressive non the less. They seemed to think they were safe and would stop after attaining a certain height, they were wrong. Bang! Hate rats, should have got more, a real blur and they seem to bolt in little gangs- no doubt a terrier would have killed more but we had some really good fun. :)

• 6 months later...
hia.

i have ferrets i could use but i find it just as gd to instead of using an old chainsaw go to tesco or a supermaket and get 2-3 cans of really cheap deodrant.works just as well as the chainsaw.

try it!

if it dont killem they will smell nice :rolleyes:

I have used Jills for ratting in the past, as well as for Grey Squirrels. Never had an injury to any of the ferrets. Nor did I see any change in the ferrets. Although one Jill would not face a rat hole after a season of ratting, but would quite happily go to ground on a Rabbit.

TC

hia.

i have ferrets i could use but i find it just as gd to instead of using an old chainsaw go to tesco or a supermaket and get 2-3 cans of really cheap deodrant.works just as well as the chainsaw.

try it!

I've heard of people having good success with petrol down the hole (make sure of wind direction!). What is the secret to this deodrant- I presume you light it for a blow torch effect down the holes??

We had a problem with rats under a field shelter on my parents land, it had a concrete base around 5m x 12m, we blocked up all the holes around the perimeter of the base, except for one which we sprayed 4 big airfreshner cans down followed by 2 pints of petrol, simpily stand back throw a match on it and pwmff, sends a fireball through there once cozy home.

Problem solved :good::lol:

• 3 weeks later...