Wanted. Trigger pull gauge.

Robden

As I was unable to source a trigger pull gauge at sensible money around 20 years ago, I decided to copy one that I had seen in Richards of Liverpool, being used by their gunsmith. The hardest part was finding a circular spring balance that had a low poundage starting weight. I found this in an antique shop.

20230129_103835.jpg

20230129_103835.jpg

20230129_103827.jpg

1 minute ago, Westley said:

As I was unable to source a trigger pull gauge at sensible money around 20 years ago, I decided to copy one that I had seen in Richards of Liverpool, being used by their gunsmith. The hardest part was finding a circular spring balance that had a low poundage starting weight. I found this in an antique shop.

20230129_103835.jpg

20230129_103835.jpg

20230129_103827.jpg

The sliding marker collar is an 15mm copper olive off a conex pipe fitting. I cut this, slid it on the balance, then closed it to make a snug friction fit. The collar remains at the let off weight to give you an accurate reading.

54 minutes ago, Westley said:

20230129_103835.jpg

20230129_103835.jpg

20230129_103827.jpg

The sliding marker collar is an 15mm copper olive off a conex pipe fitting. I cut this, slid it on the balance, then closed it to make a snug friction fit. The collar remains at the let off weight to give you an accurate reading.

Surely, you need to add the “weight” (drag) of the friction to the balance reading to obtain an accurate trigger pull weight?

47 minutes ago, London Best said:

Surely, you need to add the “weight” (drag) of the friction to the balance reading to obtain an accurate trigger pull weight?

Don't get too bloody technical  😄

I have checked it alongside a digital trigger weight device and the difference was immeasurable in ozs. The late W.Richards gunsmith used a similar device that was purpose built for the job and I never felt the need to complain about triggers they did for me. When did you last see triggers measured in fractions of an ounce  ?

6 minutes ago, Westley said:

Don't get too bloody technical  😄

I have checked it alongside a digital trigger weight device and the difference was immeasurable in ozs. The late W.Richards gunsmith used a similar device that was purpose built for the job and I never felt the need to complain about triggers they did for me. When did you last see triggers measured in fractions of an ounce  ?

Down Boy! 
I was only joking.

39 minutes ago, London Best said:

Down Boy! 
I was only joking.

So was I   😄   it's true though, my trigger weights were 3 and 3 1/2lbs in my younger days, but I now have them 3 1/2  & 4lbs on double triggers and 4 on both on O/U.

Sorry Robden for taking over your wanted thread. PM me for details of the home made spring balance.

Edited by Westley

Almost any modern electronic luggage scale with tare and data hold or max weight function and with the addition of a piece of stuff wire for the trigger arm will work, with most having a 10g resolution.

The cost for a "professional" scale is purely profit driven and you are in effect paying £25-£50 for the wire arm which costs pennies.

I.e. £0.50 for a wall tie

Edited by Stonepark

Use the dead-weight method, basically a piece of bent coat hanger wire hooked over the trigger and a suitable container to hold weights or water the other end, hold the barrels and lift the gun vertically, keep adding weight until the trigger pulls, make sure the gun is empty