6 Nations 2023.

walshie

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

He plays heads up rugby you can see him scanning the field before he kicks he  sees where players are out of position i think he will get player of the year 

Missed this sorry,  and totally agree, he's the Lionel Messi of Rugby Union.

Scotland v Ireland, now that was a game I could simply enjoy.
I'd have liked Scotland to win, but Ireland were just far to good, right through the squad.

The only thing that leaves a sour taste is that Farrell and Catt are coaching, so the best current team are coached by English men.

17 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I'd have liked Scotland to win, but Ireland were just far to good, right through the squad.

The only thing that leaves a sour taste is that Farrell and Catt are coaching, so the best current team are coached by English men.

Also all coaching teams have rugby league  coaches in the squad 

On 12/03/2023 at 17:42, Mice! said:

Watched this game with the wifey on the sofa. Brilliant game and was really impressed  with Scotland's defence especially in the first half, but Ireland's quailty shone through in the 2nd half.  I like Scotland and their anthem, ''especially when sang by Amy McDonald''. I didnt like the Scottish fans booing when Sexton was kicking the conversions though. And although only a part time rugby fan, like most I couldnt make sense out of our disallowed try for Scotland using a different ball.

Looking forward to a great weekend and we should have been in the capital this coming weekend for an Irish dancing competition, but the hotels we use have quadtrupled in price due to '' The Paddy's day festivities'' and the Rugby. 

Without putting a jinx on things, fingers crossed the the main man and our brilliant captain gets the 6 nations swan song he fully deserves.

No doubt England will be hurting after the thumping by France, and will prove to be very dangerous and do all they can to spoil Irelands party.

If Ireland can manage to sweep up all thats on offer come Saturday, then the English men who coach the team could well be made honorary Irish men similiar to that of the late Jack Charlton.  

Really looking forward to the weekend of what hopefully will be a celebration of everything green and we can watch those free birds fly🤞 

2 hours ago, SuperGoose75 said:

Without putting a jinx on things, fingers crossed the the main man and our brilliant captain gets the 6 nations swan song he fully deserves.

I don't see what England can do between now and Saturday,  reading what Jonny Wilkinson has said this week, the thrashing at the hands of France could serve us well for the world Cup, but it's Irelands party Saturday,  Sexton deserves the points record and Ireland the grand slam.

And although only a part time rugby fan, like most I couldnt make sense out of our disallowed try for Scotland using a different ball.

Just the rules,  it stops someone having another ball ready for the home team, but not the away team, and the 'proper' ball was right there.

Ireland can manage to sweep up all thats on offer come Saturday, then the English men who coach the team could well be made honorary Irish men similiar to that of the late Jack Charlton.  

Screenshot_20230314-215248_Facebook.jpg.6dc1cbfe753a01e34f29f8f5b408e61b.jpg

Not doing bad are they 😭😭😭

10 hours ago, Mice! said:

I don't see what England can do between now and Saturday,  reading what Jonny Wilkinson has said this week, the thrashing at the hands of France could serve us well for the world Cup, but it's Irelands party Saturday,  Sexton deserves the points record and Ireland the grand slam.

Just the rules,  it stops someone having another ball ready for the home team, but not the away team, and the 'proper' ball was right there.

Screenshot_20230314-215248_Facebook.jpg.6dc1cbfe753a01e34f29f8f5b408e61b.jpg

Not doing bad are they 😭😭😭

Both Andy Farrell and Johnny Sexton were bemused at the rule that disallowed the try in their post match interview. Water under the bridge now anyway.

That is a very decent thing thing of you to say regarding Sexton and Irelands grand slam expectations.  Rugby aside Johnny Sexton is a great human being. This breaks my heart as I remember a little English girl who I read about in the Newes of the World as a  young teenager who had the same disease as Claudia. I cut it out of the paper at the time and prayed for that little girl for years. I think I still have the paper cutting in an old suitcase. I had forgotton about it as I grew up but did see in a paper years later that poor girl sadly passed away.

Watching this took me right back and I had a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye.

If Ireland manage to win the slam and no matter where I happen to find myself, should it be in a noisey pub or sitting on the sofa, then I will think of what it means to Claudia at that moment above all else.

12 hours ago, SuperGoose75 said:

Ireland manage to win the slam and no matter where I happen to find myself, should it be in a noisey pub or sitting on the sofa, then I will think of what it means to Claudia at that moment above all else.

I haven't watched the video, it's been a manic day, and I'm not sure if I want to 😭😭😭 I don't deal well with kids being seriously ill,  it just never seems fair.

I have just seen this.

Screenshot_20230315-213840_Facebook.jpg.eb319573310b814fbd8420db55559ae8.jpg

11 hours ago, Mice! said:

I haven't watched the video, it's been a manic day, and I'm not sure if I want to 😭😭😭 I don't deal well with kids being seriously ill,  it just never seems fair.

I have just seen this.

Screenshot_20230315-213840_Facebook.jpg.eb319573310b814fbd8420db55559ae8.jpg

I heard that newes on the radio this morning. I honestly never knew that Owen was Andy Farrell's son. Goes to show what I know about Rugby! 

Must be a bit of a strange one all the same - having your son represent his country just as he has done and no doubt he will be very proud of the fact. Yet finds himself in a position on the opposing side.

Imagine it came down to a penalty kick in Englands favour to decide the game in the closing minutes and it was Owen Farrells duty to take it!  It would be a tough one for daddy.

That said it is a sport after all and these things can happen. I hope it turns out to be a good game to watch. The old enemy's battling it out is always sure to be entertaining 👍

Just now, SuperGoose75 said:

I heard that newes on the radio this morning. I honestly never knew that Owen was Andy Farrell's son. Goes to show what I know about Rugby! 

Must be a bit of a strange one all the same - having your son represent his country just as he has done and no doubt he will be very proud of the fact. Yet finds himself in a position on the opposing side.

Imagine it came down to a penalty kick in Englands favour to decide the game in the closing minutes and it was Owen Farrells duty to take it!  It would be a tough one for daddy.

That said it is a sport after all and these things can happen. I hope it turns out to be a good game to watch. The old enemy's battling it out is always sure to be entertaining 👍

We were supposed to be out and I wasn't going to be able to watch the final day 😡😡 but plans have changed, so it's watch France destroy Wales, and I think France will go all out hoping fir a miracle later,  then watch Ireland destroy England,  I'm expecting a very similar game to Scotland v Ireland,  I just think Ireland are to good at the moment. 

There was a funny interview with Owen the other week, his kids had or wanted a fill Ireland kit because it's Grandads team!! OF said no chance 😁😁

The thing I love about the six nations is the rugby always wins, no matter what happens tomorrow the fans will have a beer, sing and be happy.

16 minutes ago, Mice! said:

We were supposed to be out and I wasn't going to be able to watch the final day 😡😡 but plans have ch😄anged, so it's watch France destroy Wales, and I think France will go all out hoping fir a miracle later,  then watch Ireland destroy England,  I'm expecting a very similar game to Scotland v Ireland,  I just think Ireland are to good at the moment. 

There was a funny interview with Owen the other week, his kids had or wanted a fill Ireland kit because it's Grandads team!! OF said no chance 😁😁

The thing I love about the six nations is the rugby always wins, no matter what happens tomorrow the fans will have a beer, sing and be happy.

Can't  knock Owen for taking that stance 😄

Exactly its all about fans and spectators enjoying the occcasion no matter the outcome. Of course it is always nice if your team wins but is not the end of the world of they dont.

Has any one seen the new Paddy Power advert on Cheltenham? Ireland v England very funny.

53 minutes ago, Mice! said:

@SuperGoose75      😅😅😅

Screenshot_20230318-123321_Facebook.jpg.ecc7295565e4918cb7f571c1b651089b.jpg

😄😄 Very good. Maybe grandad has been secretly been teaching them Irelands call and they can join in singing the pre match rugby anthem 🙂

Had a few pints of the black stuff in this pub yesterday to celebrate our day.

Wife was in town this morning and she noticed Conor Murray has gone walkabouts. No doubt nicked by some female admirer late last night. I hope she made him a ''big fry up'' this morning for breakfast. 🙂

Screenshot_20230316-154540_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230316-154647_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230316-154610_Gallery.jpg

You can only say congratulations to Ireland,  I wasn't happy with the red card, I think it pretty much decided the game, but a massive well done.

The standing ovation for Jonny's first kick was brilliant,  I thought he was great throughout. 

I was really happy with the England performance,  I think a few key players haven't performed as they have previously and the pressure was going to tell at some point.

After last week's performance against France the game was massive. 

Had a few pints of the black stuff in this pub yesterday to celebrate our day.

I'm just finishing number 3, dilly dilly.

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

You can only say congratulations to Ireland,  I wasn't happy with the red card, I think it pretty much decided the game, but a massive well done.

The standing ovation for Jonny's first kick was brilliant,  I thought he was great throughout. 

I was really happy with the England performance,  I think a few key players haven't performed as they have previously and the pressure was going to tell at some point.

After last week's performance against France the game was massive. 

I'm just finishing number 3, dilly dilly.

I agree regarding the red card, I thought it very harsh. I suppose like the disallowed try against Scotland, the rules are the rules.

England were never going to come to Dublin and lay down and roll over. They proved most pundits wrong with that performance and the Aviva went very quite for a good period of the game and I like most were starting to worry England were going to cause an upset. Had England 15 players on the field for the whole game, it could have all been very different.

It was Irelands year and I dont think anyone can say they didnt deserve their glory.  

What a day for the whole Ireland team and sure it was a fairy tale ending for Johnny Sexton. Couldnt have went any better for him. And no doubt about it now, Andy Farrrell will be made and honoury Irishman 🏉 🇮🇪

Edited by SuperGoose75

"The aviva went quiet"......must have been in the posh seats!!!!

The atmosphere was everything you could hope looking round the complete stadium as fields of athenry rang out was unreal.....

Now for ever more my 9yr old can say "i was there".....best experience inside a stadium i will prob ever have!!

Ireland were rubbish!!....the occasion really got to them silly mistakes unforced errors stupidly got into a kicking game when they had a extra man just poor game management but prob to be expected given the day.... 

The red card....we thought yellow to be fair but this is where world rugby have gone.....contact with head your off.....not always right but when the injured player cant continue how can the offending team have an advantage??

All in all Ireland deserved it best team in it this year but boy have they made it hard since the french game,,,, world cup ......not on this broken form.....

But a day i will never forget and as i told my boy,hopefully in years to come he can bring his family and tell them he was there with his dad when ireland won their first in dublin!!

To add,, 2 england players(doubt tv picked this up) walked around the ground as ireland paraded the trophies applauding the ground and got a great ovation back for what was a fantastic gesture on their part......!!

What vexed me about the red card was that someone in the previous round of fixtures (I forget who) got kneed in the head as he went low to make a tackle, because going high's too risky or too dangerous. That's not even a foul (obviously) but carried far more force than Steward's incident yesterday. He had to go off and then failed his HIA after a fair few minutes treatment on the pitch.

I'm all for taking player safety seriously, but the rules have got to make sense and they've got to actually do the job they're made to do - keep players safe. If tacklers are going to be going lower and lower, we're going to see people putting their head in as dangerous places (maybe more so) and it's going to be entirely legal.

Edited by chrisjpainter

World rugby are altering rules to suit the size of the players which to put it  simply.....they are just to big for the contact game they play.....the new rules for amateur rugby are a joke, all tackles below waist or penalty so roll on many many more head injuries.......

There are far to many penalty offences and refs are blowing far to quickly so instead of free flowing you now have crash bang contact penalties,,roll away with a 20 stone man on top of you within a second,let go of ball when you hit ground.....the refs whistle never stops,,,try held up opp now kick away....there was a pen the other week scrum pushed to quickly yet its the refs job to count in but they have a ridiculous inconsistent pause between counts....scrums have become a joke...

31 minutes ago, millrace said:

World rugby are altering rules to suit the size of the players which to put it  simply.....they are just to big for the contact game they play.....the new rules for amateur rugby are a joke, all tackles below waist or penalty so roll on many many more head injuries.......

There are far to many penalty offences and refs are blowing far to quickly so instead of free flowing you now have crash bang contact penalties,,roll away with a 20 stone man on top of you within a second,let go of ball when you hit ground.....the refs whistle never stops,,,try held up opp now kick away....there was a pen the other week scrum pushed to quickly yet its the refs job to count in but they have a ridiculous inconsistent pause between counts....scrums have become a joke...

They really have. It's now such a lottery as to who will give the penalty away. It's all about 'painting a picture for the ref' as the commentators are so fond of saying, which shows just how arbitrary it all is. If the ref's on your side, it's an easy three points/kick to touch. If not, you're just one failed scrum from a yellow card, as Italy were yesterday. It's just what the ref chooses to focus on.

10 hours ago, millrace said:

"The aviva went quiet"......must have been in the posh seats!!!!

The atmosphere was everything you could hope looking round the complete stadium as fields of athenry rang out was unreal.....

Now for ever more my 9yr old can say "i was there".....best experience inside a stadium i will prob ever have!!

Ireland were rubbish!!....the occasion really got to them silly mistakes unforced errors stupidly got into a kicking game when they had a extra man just poor game management but prob to be expected given the day.... 

The red card....we thought yellow to be fair but this is where world rugby have gone.....contact with head your off.....not always right but when the injured player cant continue how can the offending team have an advantage??

All in all Ireland deserved it best team in it this year but boy have they made it hard since the french game,,,, world cup ......not on this broken form.....

But a day i will never forget and as i told my boy,hopefully in years to come he can bring his family and tell them he was there with his dad when ireland won their first in dublin!!

To add,, 2 england players(doubt tv picked this up) walked around the ground as ireland paraded the trophies applauding the ground and got a great ovation back for what was a fantastic gesture on their part......!!

I'm sure it's a day you or your lad will never forget,  and what an experience to have been there, the stadium looked amazing.

10 hours ago, millrace said:

I didn't even see the presentation on ITV because they changed channel for it,  utterly hopefully it's all on the highlights 👍

9 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

What vexed me about the red card was that someone in the previous round of fixtures (I forget who) got kneed in the head as he went low to make a tackle, because going high's too risky or too dangerous

This is one of the big issues with the rule changes for the amateur game,  tackling low with good technique is what you want, but there is just as much chance of being hit with a knee or hip.

Then if everyone is tackling low the players will start to offload more, its definitely going to put a lot of players off playing. 

On 19/03/2023 at 19:35, Mice! said:

I'm sure it's a day you or your lad will never forget,  and what an experience to have been there, the stadium looked amazing.

I didn't even see the presentation on ITV because they changed channel for it,  utterly hopefully it's all on the highlights 👍

This is one of the big issues with the rule changes for the amateur game,  tackling low with good technique is what you want, but there is just as much chance of being hit with a knee or hip.

Then if everyone is tackling low the players will start to offload more, its definitely going to put a lot of players off playing. 

Yes indeed. It's fine most of the time for most players at the elite level, but amateurs are going to be making those errors in head position a lot more frequently. You can't have rules that are applied to the elite but not to amateur, so I don't see how it's going to improve player safety in the long run. The thing that separates elite from amateur isn't physical mass particularly, so the forces at play can be the same at amateur level. But the skillset to handle those forces is a whole other...er...ball game.

The BBC has a nice round-up of the stats behind the men's Six Nations here. The summary of why Ireland dominated is particularly revealing. A tournament high of 55% of the time they kept the ball within 10 metres of the previous breakdown. But at the same time, Keenan and Lowe topped the table for metres gained and Ireland made more line breaks than any other team - and Lowe made more than any other player. In short? They're just better than everyone everywhere on the pitch!

As for England? Solid at the scrum, the maul and the lineout but very average everywhere else. Worth a read:
Six Nations 2023: What were teams good at and what are their World Cup chances? - BBC Sport

Women's starts this weekend and it's a farewell to Sarah Hunter, who hangs up her boots after the first match.  A home match in her home city is a nice way to exit the stage.