Nice fish off the beach (NZ)

Houseplant

Thanks. Known throughout Australia and NZ as snapper, but they are not a species of snapper at all. They are a type of sea bream, more correctly called silver sea bream. Not so different from sea bream found in Europe, but grow much bigger. A common, but highly sort after species that make great eating.

Edited by Houseplant

1 hour ago, Duckandswing said:

I loved fishing off the beach during my last trip to NZ. Who new the Wainuiomata coast could be so good!

Had plenty of blue cod. I don’t eat fish though so put most back.

Land based fishing can be great if you visit more remote areas for obvious reasons. I can catch fish of the beach where I live, but I'd have to work a lot harder for them. Also, I only do lure fishing now. I don't regard lure fishing as superior in any way to bait fishing, I just enjoy it more. 

8 hours ago, Houseplant said:

Land based fishing can be great if you visit more remote areas for obvious reasons. I can catch fish of the beach where I live, but I'd have to work a lot harder for them. Also, I only do lure fishing now. I don't regard lure fishing as superior in any way to bait fishing, I just enjoy it more. 

Im the opposite, been lure fishing for Pollack [mostly] for the last decade or two, just starting surf casting again, targeting Bass and Turbot, I like the sitting around watching the rod tip

5 hours ago, Bigbob said:

Any good for eating ? that's my only interest in a bit of fishing now LOL I usually trade rabbits for fish but loose out as the fish need cleaned and my angling mates want the rabbits cleaned 

Snapper are great for eating. White fillets, good for fish and chips. People do swap fish for home kill or wild game meat, but it's technically illegal. That said, it happens a a lot on a small scale.