Beretta 686s spares

Daveo26

Does anyone know of a good source of spares for the above gun?

I picked up a fixer up with a broken woodwork, that’s now sorted 

I need the first oversize locking latch and a pair of hinge pins.

the top lever is at about 7 o clock 

can’t seem to find a uk stockist 

cheers Dave 

2 hours ago, Daveo26 said:

cheers Dave 

Have you asked at a gunshop for them to order for you . Very few if any will keep on stock .We used to keep common spares for a lot of  guns but stuff like this was always ordered in as needed .

You will need to specify what size diameter hinge studs you ned and if memory serves the locking bolts are graded as well.

19 minutes ago, Gunman said:

Have you asked at a gunshop for them to order for you . Very few if any will keep on stock .We used to keep common spares for a lot of  guns but stuff like this was always ordered in as needed .

You will need to specify what size diameter hinge studs you ned and if memory serves the locking bolts are graded as well.

I haven’t to be honest

I believe the first oversize is +15thou for both the hinge pins and locking bolt 

I can only assume this gun is running on original parts

there are a few online suppliers but seem to be in Italy 

One uk based supplier,  airgun spares have only got the second over size in stock 

12 hours ago, Daveo26 said:

I haven’t to be honest

I believe the first oversize is +15thou for both the hinge pins and locking bolt 

I can only assume this gun is running on original parts

there are a few online suppliers but seem to be in Italy 

One uk based supplier,  airgun spares have only got the second over size in stock 

Having  fitted new studs a fair few times can I offer a few pointers .

A lot will depend on the amount of wear currently in the hooks .Some studs have come finished ,engraved and hardened .Others have just been machined and needed to be finished .Bear in mind that its not just a matter of screwing new studs in place .The hooks have to be scraped to fit so to be seated fully and concentrically. If not the opening and closing can be affected ,so its not as straight forward as you might think or appear .

When this is done the fit of the barrel and action faces need to be checked and filed -blacked down - to ensure maximum contact . This may also negate the need for a new bolt dependent on how much wear is in the barrel slots.

As with any tightening /joint work the forend bearing may need adjusting and ejector timings can also be affected , 

IF you are ordering a few bits, it may prove financially viable to use the Beretta E store. The problem now is tax and postage costs. I recently wanted a recoil spring for a Beretta 300 series auto. The cost of the spring was under €3, the postage etc. was €25  ? They have the parts, but it depends how much you want them. It may put Brownells prices into some perspective. 

19 hours ago, Daveo26 said:

I have

Have you seen their prices ??

they appear to charge about 3 times what others do

It was the worst thing that happened when they got a U.K. branch. Stuff was much cheaper from the States and usually didn’t take too long to arrive.

9 hours ago, Gunman said:

Having  fitted new studs a fair few times can I offer a few pointers .

A lot will depend on the amount of wear currently in the hooks .Some studs have come finished ,engraved and hardened .Others have just been machined and needed to be finished .Bear in mind that its not just a matter of screwing new studs in place .The hooks have to be scraped to fit so to be seated fully and concentrically. If not the opening and closing can be affected ,so its not as straight forward as you might think or appear .

When this is done the fit of the barrel and action faces need to be checked and filed -blacked down - to ensure maximum contact . This may also negate the need for a new bolt dependent on how much wear is in the barrel slots.

As with any tightening /joint work the forend bearing may need adjusting and ejector timings can also be affected , 

Oh this is unexpected.

according to everything I’ve read it’s just a case of replacing parts with over sizes.

Im not disputing what you’re saying, just a bit surprised after reading assurances online that wasn’t the case

******, I’ll have to rethink this then.

Got my local gun shop to try and get a price from GMK today 

they need part numbers

Unfortunately there are those of us who have done it and those that haven't. There are videos on YouTube that I've watched screaming NO NO NO at for instance .

I can only speak from experience of having done it and sometimes  having had to correct work done by those who thought they could .

OK you may be able to just fit new studs and they fit the hooks without problems but then again they may not , so you just have to approach any job like this assuming there will be fitting/adjusting needed .

Best of luck .

On 09/03/2023 at 16:09, Daveo26 said:

cheers Dave 

My first point of call would to be swap the hinge pins around ie left in right hole right in left they only wear  on one side 

10 hours ago, deershooter said:

My first point of call would to be swap the hinge pins around ie left in right hole right in left they only wear  on one side 

The hinge studs screw in so it is not possible to just turn them or swop them over as you can not tell where they will stop when tight .

They are also hardened so the likelihood of them wearing is less than the hooks in the barrel that will usualy wear at a greater rate .

As with all guns that come loose , off face or need the bites correcting there are several factors to consider before making any suggestions as to possible solutions .Without doing this you can make more problems for yourself and end up doing more work than necessary or doing work that does not need doing. 

Re-jointing / putting back on face /tightening action/ forend/  bites , all fall with in the same scope of work .Some that can be corrected quite quickly and easily other parts need a degree of skill and experience .

Often the hardest part is deciding what actually needs doing and how you are going to do it . 

20 minutes ago, Gunman said:

The hinge studs screw in so it is not possible to just turn them or swop them over as you can not tell where they will stop when tight .

They are also hardened so the likelihood of them wearing is less than the hooks in the barrel that will usualy wear at a greater rate .

As with all guns that come loose , off face or need the bites correcting there are several factors to consider before making any suggestions as to possible solutions .Without doing this you can make more problems for yourself and end up doing more work than necessary or doing work that does not need doing. 

Re-jointing / putting back on face /tightening action/ forend/  bites , all fall with in the same scope of work. Some that can be corrected quite quickly and easily other parts need a degree of skill and experience .

Often the hardest part is deciding what actually needs doing and how you are going to do it . 

Which is why I use Matt at Simpson Brothers for this very job.

• 3 weeks later...

So I’ve got a bit of an update on this.

to be clear the gun was proofed in 1990 and I doubt anyone has been inside the gun since it was made.

33 years of use and it was feeling tired, there was felt play between the action and barrels with the forend off

the top lever was past centre.

so going against the advice on here I ordered the first oversize hinge pins and locking latch from here https://www.omps2.it/en/102-beretta-spare-parts

came to £101 inc shipping and arrived within a week.

stripped the gun, cleaned all the crud out and oiled the moving bits

put it back together after having to grind screwdrivers to make them fit!

the gun opens and closes like a new gun and the top lever sits like they do on a new gun (around 5 o clock position)

I’ve put 100 cartridges through the gun today with no issues, then I’ve stripped and checked everything for and funny marks or signs of wear, all looks good.

the gun feels like new again.

I'm not suggesting anyone does what I’ve done but I did it

and no doubt a gun smith would have done a better job but the gun works and feels much happier than it did.