Transit custom euro 6

kingsy18

Hi all, I purchased a used transit custom a couple of weeks ago with 56000 on clock.Phoned someone today regarding a remap,asked me if it has had a recall due to dodgy cambelts,I wasn,t sure so he told me to enquire with Ford.Ford told me if it has not had a recall  the onus is on me if the belt snaps.The dealer I purchased it from gave me 3 months warranty but only by word and mouth,not sure if cambelt would be covered,did pay deposit by credit card.Anyone know my rights if the belt did happen to snap,or just change belt soon as.

There is a website that you can check for recalls on :- https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-recall

Although ford should have been able to give you that information using the vehicle reg number. 

as for the warranty, it’s not a legal requirement for used car dealerships to offer warranty although Its advised that they give a 3 month minimum. I’d not bank on it unless it’s in writing. The deposit on credit card is the saving grace as I believe providing the deposit is over £100 the credit card company will reimburse the whole purchase price (please check). 

3 hours ago, kingsy18 said:

Hi all, I purchased a used transit custom a couple of weeks ago with 56000 on clock.Phoned someone today regarding a remap,asked me if it has had a recall due to dodgy cambelts,I wasn,t sure so he told me to enquire with Ford.Ford told me if it has not had a recall  the onus is on me if the belt snaps.The dealer I purchased it from gave me 3 months warranty but only by word and mouth,not sure if cambelt would be covered,did pay deposit by credit card.Anyone know my rights if the belt did happen to snap,or just change belt soon as.

The vehicle is covered by the consumer good act and up to 6 months from purchase it is deemed that the vehicle must be fit and proper when it was sold 

The burden of proof is on the seller to show that the vehicle was fit and well at point of sale - after 6 months it reverts the other way

Google AA your legal right - its on their website and explains it well

We are a van dealer and we take anything back without quibble really - if the AA warranty does not cover it

Its not worth having your reputation ruined - hopefully your dealer will feel the same if an issue arises - which im sure it wont 

Just remember the dealer wont want it to break but machines do - always be fair and patient and most in the motor trade contrary to some popular belief will get things sorted 

Contacted Ford  with reg which is 67 plate they told me if it's not had a recall there,s nothing they can do about it,10 years or 150000 they say for belt change.So if it did go sooner would that be wear and tear plus would consumer rights cover that,happy with van otherwise.

Then it must be on recall letter must be with previous owner. Ours is 67 plate with 60000 I was told by transit centre near us as long as it is within the service life it’s covered. Which is 150000 I think just been looking again and it just mentions the eco blue engine that’s affected.

Edited by Potter64

There is a ford site you can check recalls with the vin number! I have used it for my older 2.2 think it’s ford etis or something 

I think the recall is a visual inspection of belt  as derv ingress into the oil this weakens the belts - have a look on uk transit custom forum there info on there. 

I think the recall only covers a certain batch of the 2.0 - found the local main dealership ( transit section) more helpful than ford uk )

I have a 2.2 and love it 

Agriv8