Cerekoteing a shotgun barrel O/U

Zetter

Hi all

I have had rifle barrels cercoted in the past but not shotgun barrels. Due to an unfortunate accident at home its looking like I am going to have to get a couple of barrels refinished they are not terrible but there has been some rust damage to the barrels.

I was going to look at reblueing but was thinking of possibly going down the cerekote route instead. The advantages I can see being choice fo finishes / colours, hard wearing  and can be cheaper than a full reblue.

Has anyone had this done and how did you find it? Where their any pitfalls to watch out for? I quite fancy getting my barrels done in grey a similar colour to one of my rifles.

Just to clarify I appreciate this could devalue the guns vs traditional blueing but I dont really mind this as one is my Browning XS that fits me like a glove and I have confidence in so wont be getting rid of anytime soon. The other is my daughters gun that she loves so I dont plan on getting rid of either/ the value isnt stellar i.e. its not like I am planning to do it to a EELL or anything.

1 hour ago, Zetter said:

Hi all

I have had rifle barrels cercoted in the past but not shotgun barrels. Due to an unfortunate accident at home its looking like I am going to have to get a couple of barrels refinished they are not terrible but there has been some rust damage to the barrels.

I was going to look at reblueing but was thinking of possibly going down the cerekote route instead. The advantages I can see being choice fo finishes / colours, hard wearing  and can be cheaper than a full reblue.

Has anyone had this done and how did you find it? Where their any pitfalls to watch out for? I quite fancy getting my barrels done in grey a similar colour to one of my rifles.

Just to clarify I appreciate this could devalue the guns vs traditional blueing but I dont really mind this as one is my Browning XS that fits me like a glove and I have confidence in so wont be getting rid of anytime soon. The other is my daughters gun that she loves so I dont plan on getting rid of either/ the value isnt stellar i.e. its not like I am planning to do it to a EELL or anything.

I’d have them re blued 

reason 

nice guns and you like them 

keracote is just a little bit heavier than blue and maybe affect the balance 

just my thoughts 

all the best with your decision 

of 

15 hours ago, Old farrier said:

I’d have them re blued 

reason 

nice guns and you like them 

keracote is just a little bit heavier than blue and maybe affect the balance 

just my thoughts 

all the best with your decision 

of 

I doubt any coating on a barrel will affect the balance to any degree that anyone will notice . 

Probably the best reason for cerakote is adverse weather. 
I like my M2 in cerakote finish but I don't think I'd do it on my OU's.

It has to be done right, I've seen a couple of bad examples. I think it does suit a semi market well, I think currently it would look poor on sxs and OU. That said, times change.... and it may be something that's standard due to durability in the future. I don't think it'll happen any time soon and I do agree it would be sacrilegious on some older beauts.

I'm still surprised we don't see more guns with beautiful gleaming silver barrels. I get why that's a bad idea of game guns also!! 

Jim @ Longthorne did a titanium 12g, I think recently was it a 410 in titanium?! Or was it a 28g or similar? I wonder how that handles with that lightness....