Paint Protection

What is the best paint protection for a new vehicle? A vehicle which will be used off road occasionally (mostly during the shooting season) but when it is, it is likely to get "brushed" by hedges/tree branches etc?

PPF vinyl wrap or something like a ceramic coat or not bother?

The dealer I am buying my vehicle from are saying that my 3 year old L200 is badly scratched and will affect its resale value. It does have surface scratches but nothing you wouldn't expect a 3 year old truck to have. Not sure if they are just using it as a reason to reduce the p/ex?

18 hours ago, ilovemyheckler said:

What is the best paint protection for a new vehicle? A vehicle which will be used off road occasionally (mostly during the shooting season) but when it is, it is likely to get "brushed" by hedges/tree branches etc?

PPF vinyl wrap or something like a ceramic coat or not bother?

The dealer I am buying my vehicle from are saying that my 3 year old L200 is badly scratched and will affect its resale value. It does have surface scratches but nothing you wouldn't expect a 3 year old truck to have. Not sure if they are just using it as a reason to reduce the p/ex?

Traditionally known as, 'the joys of motoring'  Another example with no changes/incidents - other than a year older -  on my part is the fact that I've just learned that my insurers want to up my ante by 28%. :mad:

21 hours ago, Centrepin said:

I do believe a good quality polish like Mer applied at frequent intervals is the best protection, washing it often helps too.

Basic hand polishing and washing won’t be likely to really deal with the sort of scratches you’ll sustain driving off road. 

If you’re really fussed you’ll have to go down the route of ppf as the only way you’ll stop scratches getting to the paint is with a protective film of some sort! 
Ceramic coating seals in the finish to  the paint once ‘shiny’ and scratch free which is done before application by machine polishing…..it does help a little against light scratching but really more to protect the finish and make the shine last a lot longer with only the need to do a proper hand wash. 
You may be better off just getting the truck machine polished / detailed prior to selling and live with the inevitable minor scratches that come with driving off road……I’d say the dealer are using it as leverage to knock money off and will just get it machine polished once you p/x. It’s hardly unusual to see trucks or vans in less than perfect condition when not very old! 

Edited by Wilts#Dave

On 02/05/2023 at 16:36, Wilts#Dave said:

Basic hand polishing and washing won’t be likely to really deal with the sort of scratches you’ll sustain driving off road. 

If you’re really fussed you’ll have to go down the route of ppf as the only way you’ll stop scratches getting to the paint is with a protective film of some sort! 
Ceramic coating seals in the finish to  the paint once ‘shiny’ and scratch free which is done before application by machine polishing…..it does help a little against light scratching but really more to protect the finish and make the shine last a lot longer with only the need to do a proper hand wash. 
You may be better off just getting the truck machine polished / detailed prior to selling and live with the inevitable minor scratches that come with driving off road……I’d say the dealer are using it as leverage to knock money off and will just get it machine polished once you p/x. It’s hardly unusual to see trucks or vans in less than perfect condition when not very old! 

As above. 

Don't believe any of the hype over ceramic, Graphene, Sio2 products as above they lock in the shine of well prepped paintwork but will not stand up to as mentioned hedges etc.