Gun power stealth

old'un

A mate as been given one of these guns recently but I think there are a few bits missing, one obvious thing is something missing from the end of the air cylinder, any idea what it needs?

And here’s a spot the error of the previous owner, in the gun picture below.

bottle.jpg.e706ec105fbf33ccc3ded7d37174af7e.jpg

gun.jpg.4b2b0e93b246146ced41fc41b2a948d2.jpg

The valve is in the gun, it shouldn’t be so it must have been screwed on so tight the bottle came off. Looks like a total nightmare to sort if you cannot get the valve out of the gun, you could possibly try threadlocking it back on and seeing if it will then unscrew with the valve in the bottle.

28 minutes ago, Acerforestry said:

These are basically ok if you don't mind single shot pcp's, I have an FAC one. If you need new parts try Gunpower based in Ashford in Kent. If you want to sell it i'd buy it for spares. Phil

I will ask him tomorrow. :good:

15 hours ago, Acerforestry said:

These are basically ok if you don't mind single shot pcp's, I have an FAC one. If you need new parts try Gunpower based in Ashford in Kent. If you want to sell it i'd buy it for spares. Phil

spoke to him and at the moment he wants to have a play with it.

16 hours ago, rovercoupe said:

The valve is in the gun, it shouldn’t be so it must have been screwed on so tight the bottle came off. Looks like a total nightmare to sort if you cannot get the valve out of the gun, you could possibly try threadlocking it back on and seeing if it will then unscrew with the valve in the bottle.

managed to get the valve out of the gun, does this look correct?

bottlevalve.jpg.30bf580766e78154832c95d117a4b497.jpg

That has to be correct - I've not separated the valve from the bottle but if all you have done is unscrew it then nothing appears to be missing, to me. As one of the above posts says just let your mate know these can easily creep over 12ft lb so if it is a legal limit rifle put a chrono on it occasionally when he has started using it

Edited by Acerforestry

3 minutes ago, Acerforestry said:

That has to be correct - I've not separated the valve from the bottle but if all you have done is unscrew it then nothing appears to be missing, to me. As one of the above posts says just let your mate know these can easily creep over 12ft lb so if it is a legal limit rifle put a chrono on it occasionally when he has started using it

Any idea what this part is for? It fits the tube coming out of the valve on the bottle and seems to fit the cocking block but when you re-cock it it stays in the cocking block.

1282945830_whatsthis1.jpg.316746e3f92b70d32083c4aa3bfb09d3.jpg

1117757443_whatsthis.jpg.fe91b11999481fc5a5c18130c8c59d1b.jpg

6 minutes ago, Andy H said:

That is your top hat and it is supposed to screw onto the cylinder valve spigot and locked in place with a small grubscrew.

it fits the cylinder valve spigot but no thread inside or grub screw, if you tip it upside down it falls off.

tophat.jpg.48db69a9bc03e74fdc90a57bcdae5c51.jpg

Beat me to it !!  The "top hat" is screwed onto the valve stem and by winding it in and out then locking in place with the grub screw is a means of adjusting the power. There are lots of improved valves out there with better stem sealing and air flow. A good way to get a steady power output is by fitting a heavier breech slide/hammer and softer spring to get a more controllable result. Often its friction on the breech slide which causes wildly different ft/lbs and the heavier hammer and dry lube can help to overcome this. A good tip is to replace the breech slide O-rings regularly as these seal the "top hat" to the barrel and again help with consistent power output.

Edited by Velocette
addition

Now I have seen that picture there seems to be a circlip retaining something on or near the valve stem. Not seen one like that before. It could be a "shed built" valve which are common with such a simple design. I'd have a look on the web for schematic drawings of the standard valve.

4 minutes ago, Velocette said:

Now I have seen that picture there seems to be a circlip retaining something on or near the valve stem. Not seen one like that before. It could be a "shed built" valve which are common with such a simple design. I'd have a look on the web for schematic drawings of the standard valve.

The circlip is doing nothing, if you tip the valve up side down it will also fall off, there was only grease holding it on, my guess is someone as put that on there to reduce the valve travel thus reducing power.

11 minutes ago, Velocette said:

Have a good read through this, its clear and he really understands the Stealth innards.

Introduction (stealthresource.org)

Thanks, I have seen and read that piece.

Possibly bonded as it will fall off if you tip the valve upside down.

I did look inside the tophat to see if there was an o-ring groove, but no, nothing.

1 hour ago, Velocette said:

Beat me to it !!  The "top hat" is screwed onto the valve stem and by winding it in and out then locking in place with the grub screw is a means of adjusting the power. There are lots of improved valves out there with better stem sealing and air flow. A good way to get a steady power output is by fitting a heavier breech slide/hammer and softer spring to get a more controllable result. Often its friction on the breech slide which causes wildly different ft/lbs and the heavier hammer and dry lube can help to overcome this. A good tip is to replace the breech slide O-rings regularly as these seal the "top hat" to the barrel and again help with consistent power output.

Think this is what you were referring to, strange how my top hat is different with no means of securing it, apart from bonding it as you said.

valve.jpg.df712d0e7d12f077e310a1f486fb36ec.jpg

My first one was an early version and had a fixed top hat and then my later one has the grub screw. 
I don’t know how the fixed valve went together but I would think if the whole top of the bottle came off then someone at some point has been in there messing around with it so might be worth a full strip down of the valve and see what’s going on as the top hat should not be free. 
it could explain the circlip to try and reduce the valve opening if someone has tried to up the power in the past.

the whole valve needs replaced you can get one off Aliexpress  but under the airforce condor name as that's the company that made the gunpower stealth etc  before buying any parts for it i would check the barrel out in case that has been got at too what calibre is it because the new valve will most likely take it above 12ft1lbs