Spice mill / grinder

Bobba

Can anyone recommend by experience please a spice mill - grinder that grind whole spices to a powder.

I ordered one off Amazon which had many recommendations but it was no good as whole spices fell through the grinding tray (returned). I have always had a pestle and mortar but it is long winded and boring and doesn’t get contents to powder form. So the curry texture is “bitty”
I was given a Sri Lankan cook book. The curries are really interesting and different to Indian curries and I wish to persevere. However, they require their own curry powder blends and whole spices toasted and ground. Hence this request. Thanks.

10 minutes ago, old'un said:

I know its not what you asked but, have you looked online for the ready ground spices you need?

Thanks. I have most ground spices ( I am within easy reach of a famous Indian supermarket)  but the basis of these powder mixes is to toast whole spices before grinding / blending. The ready ground spices are not toasted.

It depends a bit in the quantity you want to grind.  I use a "Bamix" with a wet and dry 'mill' which also has a powder disc. 

Works quite well if you have enough to 'load it', but too little just tends to swirl around ineffectively.  Mine pictured with the powder disc.

Not perfect - and it's expensive with the grinder and powder disc - plus needs the even more expensive Bamix to operate it.  However there may be cheaper equivalents.  The other snag is that when grinding oily things like cloves, it tends to pick up the clove flavour.  However, I have not found a better solution IF you have enough volume to make it work properly.

1D50317F-2949-4FD5-8474-A2EC21B3B1FF_1_102_a.jpeg

On 17/05/2023 at 11:37, JohnfromUK said:

It depends a bit in the quantity you want to grind.  I use a "Bamix" with a wet and dry 'mill' which also has a powder disc. 

Works quite well if you have enough to 'load it', but too little just tends to swirl around ineffectively.  Mine pictured with the powder disc.

Not perfect - and it's expensive with the grinder and powder disc - plus needs the even more expensive Bamix to operate it.  However there may be cheaper equivalents.  The other snag is that when grinding oily things like cloves, it tends to pick up the clove flavour.  However, I have not found a better solution IF you have enough volume to make it work properly.

1D50317F-2949-4FD5-8474-A2EC21B3B1FF_1_102_a.jpeg

Many thanks John.
I do indeed have a bamix but it never crossed my mind to explore it’s uses as a spice grinder 😳 It needs the grinder / powder disc so will look on line. Cheers. Bob

1 hour ago, Bobba said:

Many thanks John.
I do indeed have a bamix but it never crossed my mind to explore it’s uses as a spice grinder 😳 It needs the grinder / powder disc so will look on line. Cheers. Bob

If you have the Bamix, it may be the way forward.  Like all Bamix things they are expensive (Swiss).  You may get better prices elsewhere, but these are the items on their own website;

https://www.bamixuk.com/products/processor?_pos=1&_sid=fa2a825c0&_ss=r

https://www.bamixuk.com/products/powder-disc-blister-pack?_pos=1&_sid=5e39ad7f3&_ss=r

Be aware that the one called 'grinder' is a different attachment and doesn't take the powder  disc, or work with some actual Bamix motor units.

15 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Be aware that the one called 'grinder' is a different attachment and doesn't take the powder  disc, or work with some actual Bamix motor units.

Thanks again John.

Our bamix came with the bladed processor as standard so I have sent away for the powder disc.

As and when it will arrive depends on Royal Mail. Currently we are an area experiencing extreme difficulties with the post. Nothing for days then a paper waterfall through the letterbox. Despite complaints nothing improves.

If you have the processor already, the powder disc is a 'no brainer' as the powder disc alone is still expensive for a bit of plastic, but not expensive if it gives you a complete new kitchen tool.

I like my Bamix, but there is no doubt that they are ridiculously expensive and it isn't always as easy to get good results as the videos imply!  In particular, chopping 'wet' things like garlic and ginger for making a paste for curry has never worked well for me and I use a hand crusher for the garlic and a microplane grater for the ginger.

For powdering/grinding hard freshly toasted spices it works very well with the powder disc.  I also use the Bamix as a stick blender when making my 'curry base sauce' - which it does well.