General Licence GL43

The new General License GL 43 running from 31 May 2023 to 30 May 2025 is now published.  This is the one for releasing on or within the 500m 'buffer zone' around SAC (Special Areas of Conservation) sites.  New license available to read here;

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/gamebirds-licence-to-release-common-pheasants-or-red-legged-partridges-on-certain-european-sites-or-within-500m-of-their-boundary-gl43/gl43-licence-to-release-common-pheasants-or-red-legged-partridges-on-certain-european-sites-or-within-500m-of-their-boundary

4 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

The new General License GL 43 running from 31 May 2023 to 30 May 2025 is now published.  This is the one for releasing on or within the 500m 'buffer zone' around SAC (Special Areas of Conservation) sites.  New license available to read here;

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/gamebirds-licence-to-release-common-pheasants-or-red-legged-partridges-on-certain-european-sites-or-within-500m-of-their-boundary-gl43/gl43-licence-to-release-common-pheasants-or-red-legged-partridges-on-certain-european-sites-or-within-500m-of-their-boundary

Its been removed according to BASC. 

Screenshot_20230601-134438.png

34 minutes ago, mellors said:

Its been removed according to BASC. 

I think that BASC writing as they did early on 31st were referring to the 'old' GL43' which expired on 30th May 2023.

However, the 'new' one referenced above in my link to the Gov.uk website was issued late on 31st May and states it runs from 31st May 3023 to 30th May 2025.  I have not compared the 'old' to the 'new' in detail because the 'old' has been taken down and I don't have access to a copy, but it is possible that coverage relating to SPAs (which seem to have little mention in the 'new') has been removed and SPAs may need individual licences.  Because we have no SPAs nearby, I don't have any details of how they were previously covered before.

My understanding (which has been confirmed by BASC who are still checking the fin print as the new GL43 license has been released less than 24 hours) at present is that for SACs, the rules will in effect be as per the previous GL43.

• 6 months later...
40 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Judicial review incoming 

Screenshot_20231219-130348.png

I think (and do please correct if I'm wrong) this is of relevance mainly to SPA areas (which is a quite small group).  The reason I say that is that we have a current 'new' GL43 covering the period 31st May 2023 to 30th May 2025 which replaced the previous (old) GL43 which expired 30th May 2023.  The significant change (of which I'm aware) was the removal of cover for SPAs from the 'new' GL43.

In both the 'old' and 'new' GL43s - areas designated SAC and within 500m of SAC area require a submission (to DEFRA) recording and detailing the use of the GL43 license and must include specific items being mainly the details of the location, release of birds and pen area etc.

• 1 month later...

There would appear to be some changes in the wind - despite the current GL43 running until 30th May 2025.  This doesn't say much other than license changes will be happening, but reading between the lines, may be a slight relaxation in a few areas designated SPA to come under a general license - presumably GL43 rather than needing an individual license?

https://www.gwct.org.uk/blogs/news/2024/february/latest-defra-gamebird-licensing-announcement/?utm_source=All+Contacts&utm_campaign=ec5075a7d8-NL-060224-Non-Mem&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_dd843c5cb6-ec5075a7d8-27573731&mc_cid=ec5075a7d8

I think the main part of GL43 (covering SACs) will not change.

• 2 months later...

It seems that DEFRA have now lost a case brought by Wild Justice (WJ) in relation to issuing licenses for game bird release.  This appears to relate to the individual licenses issued by DEFRA for release on or near SPAs (not the General Licenses themselves).

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/uk-government-broke-law-over-gamebird-licences-wildlife-conservation-therese-coffey-richard-benyon/

https://www.endsreport.com/article/1869000/defra-concedes-licences-gamebird-releases-protected-areas-unlawful

Google brings up LOTS of triumphal posts from WJ, Raptor Persecution UK, Leigh Day (WJ's legal firm), but little 'unbiased' (or for that matter 'pro DEFRA) sources.  The two above are the best I could find.  WJ have been awarded costs, so the taxpayer funds both sides legal costs - as always the lawyers do well.