Kelbrook

Diver One

So,we decided to have a small road-trip today and went to Kelbrook.

never been before, what a brilliant shoot set in fantastic surroundings

we did the 100 Sporting and enjoyed every stand. It was nice to see "spare stands" dotted around , all set up and waiting to be used.

the road up there is a bit of a "pain" when you get a huge 4x4 coming in the opposite direction when the Lane is only wide enough for an anorexic sheep on a diet.

the day was only marred by some poor soul wanting to end it all by jumping off a motorway bridge. Thankfully he was talked out of it but it caused two multiple pile ups behind us requiring Air Ambulance. We were 12 cars from the road closure so all accidents were behind us

Used to go quite a bit, but have not been there for a while. Yes it was always well run and not a bad ground. Just getting through Colne was a bit of a pain. If you think the lane going up to the ground is er.......'interesting', turn LEFT as you come off their drive, now THAT is interesting. Narrower than the approach that you made and a 25 yards drive along a stream   !   😄

Very picturesque though, you will need that diving suit  !

Edited by Westley

Must admit that when we first went I thought we’d got lost, but it was worth the effort just for the gunshop alone, which was fortunate because it was torrential rain when we got there. 
We waited for it to let up but after an hour it hadn’t, so never got to fire a shot! 
Mate bought himself a new XS Pro though, which was the main point of the trip, so he was happy. 
He’s shot the layout since but I haven’t. He said he was impressed. 

Just now, London Best said:

I bought my H&H from Kelbrook. I was offered a trial on their clay layout but declined the offer.

Yes, MM went through a phase of selling some nice English guns. I looked at a Westley but it was well used, abused and too expensive.  He had that for a long time.

Just now, Westley said:

Yes, MM went through a phase of selling some nice English guns. I looked at a Westley but it was well used, abused and too expensive.  He had that for a long time.

He had quite a selection when I was there. I had seen the Holland on his stall at the Midland game fair. He had measuring equipment all set up behind the stall, so I was able to measure bores/wall thicknesses on the spot. Not having £kkk in my pocket, I paid him a hundred pounds deposit and collected from Kelbrook a few days later. He had a lovely pair of Purdey 16 bores, but well out of my pay grade. Also a couple of Purdey 12’s around what I paid for the H&H, but neither compared to what I bought. And, anyway, I particularly wanted a Royal Brevis.

@Westleyregarding the stream. My navigator advised a left turn, luckily the Ford was almost bone dry. We were in Volvo XC90 so not an issue. Having seen the ground construction I wouldn't attempt it in flood! Some quite deep holes. Looks like someone has tried to even it out with what appeared to be sandstone blocks from a demolished building. We will definitely be back ( my mate bought me a shooting lesson voucher with MM as a ."my first Xmas shooting present " )about 5/6 years ago. Chemo and Covid prevented it being used. They will still honour it but may be a slight price increase which I think is very fair.

best stand?.....on the platform shooting over the pond. Enlightening to see where the shot goes, spread and distance