Old Fishing Series

SuperGoose75

Now I will hold my hands up and shamefully admit, that I had never heard of either Arthur Ransome nor Michael Hordern before I happened upon these delightful videos on youtube.

Some people will call these rubbish and nothing more than pompous waffle as was left in a comment on youtube. The same type of comments I have heard said on my favourite sporting author ''BB''s writings romantic rubbish.! Well I like this sort of thing and if only someone could do something similar with BB's writings and bring them to life as Michael Hordern does with Arthur Ransomes essay's.

I'm on episode ten at present and eager for more.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Merkel said:

Tale from the river bank is worth a watch, search out myths and monsters a Llandegfed reservoir  pike fishing episode.

That's one place I wish I had got around to going to. Dolphin chasing.

Done the Chew thing, but that is far too expensive now.

• 4 weeks later...
On 21/06/2023 at 17:31, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I watched these first time around, cannot remember what films or TV he did, the BBC did a series called casting around, anyone remember those ? shame there is not much fishing on TV , I mean proper fishing the old fashioned way 

Try YouTube there's loads of fishing content 

Slightly off topic (but only slightly!) - You Tube has a fishing video of a very old (and sadly now departed soon after this video was made) family friend from 60 years ago (though we kept in touch).  "The Legend of Casa Mar", in which Peter reminisces about a fishing lodge on the Costa Rica coast that was very popular (mainly with American big game fishermen) back in the 70's.  I have fished (and shot) with Peter in Costa Rica back 35 years ago and he was a great friend and wonderful raconteur and host. 

Oh yes Michael Horden. Although I only had the occasional fishing outing to keep my father company, and my father occasionally did the same when I went shooting,  I remember occasionally watching that series. I liked the rather eccentric appreciation of the countryside and the craft and like it more all these years later.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/08/2023 at 18:31, SuperGoose75 said:

Found this gem, which includes Michael Hordern. What a character Hugh Falkus is..!

A very keen wildfowler, too, was Hugh.

I shall always remember the bit in the film where he jumps in the river in waders and barbour. Now you see 'im, now you don't, now you see 'im.

• 1 month later...
On 04/09/2023 at 14:28, Penelope said:

A very keen wildfowler, too, was Hugh.

I shall always remember the bit in the film where he jumps in the river in waders and barbour. Now you see 'im, now you don't, now you see 'im.

Yeah that was brilliant for a man of his age 👏

No harm in sharing here as it could prove very useful to someone..!