Hardy Bros Alnwick 16 Bore

Bear68

I bought a Hardy side by side 16 bore a couple of years ago. It has damascus barrels and is a non-ejector. Although it's probably 120 years old, and needs a rubber stock extension to fit me, it's a gun I've clicked with and have enjoyed using. I'm not an expert on proof marks, but looking online I think it was proofed in Birmingham before 1904? It nitro proofed and a gunsmith has confirmed it is still in proof. Any thoughts on age, original maker (I assume it was sold but not made by Hardy) etc. would be welcome:

20230722_111828.jpg

20230722_112001.jpg

20230722_112028.jpg

20230722_111929.jpg

Edited by Bear68
Tidying up

It may well have been made by them, as they had factories at Bondgate Without Alnwick 1890, South St David St Edinburgh 1894 and 12-14 Moult Street Manchester 1895 they also had a retail outlet in London 1897-2000 (61 Pall Mall then 15 Pall Mall due to bomb damage) also selling fishing tackle the last Hardy guns were sold in the 1950 in the 1960’s it became part of the Harris & Sheldon Group which continued with fishing tackle. ( House of Hardy) I hope this helps 

Edited by alan123shooting

I have a Hardy's 20 bore ble.the barells have a h stamped on them.i was told by an old gunsmith,who knew them,that the gun was a Birmingham made gun.the h apparently denoted Holloway made them and/or the gun.best handling and shooting gun I have ever owned.

3 hours ago, Mr grumpy said:

the gun was a Birmingham made gun.the h apparently denoted Holloway made them and/or the gun.

I have also read that (at least some) Hardy guns were made by Holloways.  I also wonder if Armstrong (assuming they made guns themselves!) might have made some as they were local to Alnwick.  I have seen a few Armstrong guns and the ones I have seen look decent quality.

3 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I have also read that (at least some) Hardy guns were made by Holloways.  I also wonder if Armstrong (assuming they made guns themselves!) might have made some as they were local to Alnwick.  I have seen a few Armstrong guns and the ones I have seen look decent quality.

I have an Armstrong 20 bore with a Rogers side lock action.029165D9-12AB-4ED6-B59D-7F15533AD880.jpeg.d8200bf6f8d056b54b17e08e3406a582.jpegBF906EFD-D724-41C4-85EF-1064D2709841.jpeg.a4dd1cdfe1f2dd57d69a40f811385cd5.jpeg

Very nice 👍

1 hour ago, Bear68 said:

Thanks, I've checked mine but can't see an 'H' on it. Mine is true cylinder in the right barrel and tight (3/4 ish) in the left. It's very effective with 25gm of 6 shot in a 2.5" cartridge.

Mine is improved and quarter.also use 25gm,6's,2.5".eley grand prix,a deadly combination.

Some Hardy guns were indeed made by Holloway. It shows in the quality of the action file up and gun balance. Holloway guns have an H***** number on the small rib or as we call it the "butt piece" between loop and lump. My son blagged one in an auction (12 bore BLE) for no money and it is lovely. It too made by Holloway.

If you get the chance to see/shoot a Holloway gun you will appreciate the feel and balance as well as the file up/finish of the action. Stirling work. 

1 minute ago, holloway said:

I enjoy seeing such elegant guns must be a pleasure to shoot.

Yes, it is delightful , but unfortunately a non-ejector and as the majority of my shooting lately has been driven partridge over hedges it is not exactly very convenient for that.