New Member Intro

Karlos_

Hello,

I'm Karl, I recently relocated from Dorset to Wiltshire near Amesbury, which meant giving up my previous shooting permissions. With over 15 years of experience in pest control mainly using ferrets and air rifles, I've decided I would like to learn more about pigeon shooting and stalking.

I hold both FAC and SGC, I'm here primarily to gain knowledge and insights from the community. I hope to learn from those who have experience in pigeon shooting and contribute my own experiences to the forum as well.

I look forward to being part of this community and appreciate the opportunity to grow and share knowledge with all of you. Thank you for welcoming me to the Pigeon Watch Forum.

5 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

:welcomeani:

I was in Amesbury 2 weekends ago.

Yeah its not a bad place to be, still just finding my feet trying to gain new permissions which is always the hard part of relocation. So I'll just keep knocking on doors. what were you up to in Amesbury anything nice?

Edited by Karlos_

6 minutes ago, Karlos_ said:

Yeah its not a bad place to be, still just finding my feet trying to gain new permissions which is always the hard part of relocation. So I'll just keep knocking on doors. what were you up to in Amesbury anything nice?

Visiting family, and we went for a curry and a few drinks in Amesbury.

Not a new member but I haven't been around much due to serious health problems.  I'm never really going to recover, far from it, but I realise there is no point whinging about it so I made my first visit in years to a range In years with my 9 year old grandson, who quite frankly is a born rifleman and the main reason I eventually got my backside into gear.  I've also taken on a few mods and repairs just to keep my interest sparked.  I recently was given a Gunpower Shadow 2 that was destined for the scrap bin, where it belonged from new if the makers were honest.  It was absolutely impossible to keep it below 12ft lbs so it was either do something with it or scrap it as not a single dealer was remotely interested in it.  I tried making different size valve ports by tapping the top hat and drilling different size holes in brass Allen bolts and screwing them into the top has.  Yes it worked BUT as the bottle pressure dropped the muzzle velocity increase which necessitated removing the bottle and refilling or swapping the port for a smaller one which obviously isn't ideal.  I sat back, took serious look at it and realised the design flaw   .....  it was never designed for a sub 12 ftlb air rifle. No dosing chamber and no plenum.  It needed a regulator and always did.  Nice job Gunpower 🤬.  I sourced an external regulator from AliExpress (Cricket reg) and a shorter and lighter bottle as the reg increased the pull length a little too much for me though it could well be OK for those with longer arms . Setting the reg was simple and a charm on the first attempt setting it at 6.5mpa which is just about what I thought would be right given my experience with CO2 ....... 942psi giving a VERY consistent 11.6ftlb using RWS .177 Superfield.  I did this a few weeks ago and it has been a consistent and superbly accurate performer since and has attracted a lot of attention from owners and the odd RFD who have been experiencing the same issues.  Even the manufacturer of the reg was delighted and made me his Facebook page Ambassador 🤣.  Next was a leaky S400 carbine and the surprising issue I found with it can be found in an old thread here. 

If you have any Air Arms with same gauge block setup it is well worth reading.

Edited by Biffo1262
Spelling.