Food labelling

Scully

No, I’m not bored ( possibly boring ) but while waiting to be served at Costas the other day I noticed a ‘Vegan BBQ Chicken’ wrap for sale. 
I always thought that if food was labelled as for example ‘Pork pie’, the biggest ingredient had by law to be pork? Or ‘Spaghetti Bolognese’ for another, the biggest ingredient had to be spaghetti? 
Now I know for a fact there’s no chicken in anything vegan, so I’m assuming the law has changed? 
I opened a tin of chicken noodle soup and on reading the ingredients chicken was way down the list ( 2% chicken! 😳) of ingredients! 

If I recall correctly didn't France make it illegal to sell plant based foods under the guise of such words as sausage, burger and so on. I read somewhere in the past that studies of brand marketing had shown that labelling the food as a plant based pieces and using non meat words largely impacts

sales.

Found this though it relates to dairy base products. Vegan brands challenge trading standards on changing wording of vegan dairy products.

The cheif exec of the vegan society argues the tem 'not milk' on a product marketed as a cheese replicant is confusing for customers, hardly, I would say that is quite clear what the product represents. It's not made from milk.

For sure they be busy lobbying as not to impact sales.

https://www.foodmanufacture.co.uk/Article/2023/07/11/plant-based-brands-hit-back-at-dairy-related-terms

This is taken from the article below in relation to guidance from the Advertising Standards Agency for meat free branding.

"Advertising should always be clear about what a product is so as not to mislead consumers. The ASA has accepted descriptors such as “meat-free chicken pieces” on the basis that consumers are likely to understand that the claim refers to a meat-free product. This means describing meat-free products as burgers, nuggets or similar is also likely to be acceptable so long as the ad makes clear what the product is."

https://www.asa.org.uk/news/advice-on-advertising-vegan-and-vegetarian-products-this-veganuary.html#:~:text=Advertising should always be clear,to a meat-free product.