20g hushpower pump

Mrmjspice

So I've been researching all last week about hush powers and I think I've made my mind up....

I currently have a .410 pedretti and it extremely quiet with subsonics but lacks the punch past 25 yards max so I'm looking at a 20g Mossberg. Before I buy it just wanted a few last opinions.

I've read people saying it's a special cartridge so best to reload to get the most out it. Does anyone care to share their recipe with me? I've got a Lee in my basket ready to order already....

Is there any shells aff the shelf you would recommend to get me going? Will mostly be used for rabbits at night. (I have permission I've shot for a while with air rifle and 22lr etc and am looking to have a bit of fun and challenge my self (have a set of NVG's so will be using the shotgun with those and might try a lamp just to mix things up)) will also be used for feather round the stables and paddocks so noise is factor.

And the final question with I've read a few answers to and some seem to contradict others.... how much louder is than the .410?

On 10/10/2023 at 22:34, Mrmjspice said:

I've read people saying it's a special cartridge so best to reload to get the most out it. Does anyone care to share their recipe with me? I've got a Lee in my basket ready to order already....

I actually sold mine because of changing use patterns, I either needed air-rifle quiet (near pheasant pens or a big back garden) or could use an unmodded 12 bore.

But although I bought a case of hushpower subsonics, actually standard carts were not all that louder.  Remember, the 'report' with your head on the stock is not the important sound, it's how it sounds 100m away that's (probably) important.

Also, be prepared to practice your swing, it's a long, unbalanced heavy lump that takes some getting used to.

Hello  l  had a 20 b mossy hushy for about 5 years. And used it almost exclusively. 

It's a great gun and I usually decoyed pigeons and crows with it . As for cartridges . Due to the barrel porting  your gonna need a punchy cartridge to get decent kills at 30- 40 yds .I used black golds in no5  or some hot Italian 32 grm no 6 .

Clay loads were useless in it .28 grm of no 7.5 didn't kill past 25 yds .as for noise the big game loads are pretty loud . But you need them if you want to be effective .by contrast at the same time I had a single barreled .410 (28 inch barrel,  no porting ) with an add in moderator .I loaded this with 16 - 18 grm no6 and could kill birds at similar ranges to the 20b . While being quieter and much nicer to shoot . The only down side being a single shot .

I swapped the 20 mossy out for a semi auto  20b with add on  moderator .

This is a far better gun .it shoots faster (sa. ) it kills better and further out even with clay loads and is only a touch louder then the mossy was .with a silencer that's 1/3 the size . So the gun handles much better .

I also have a mossy .410 hush but without porting and this kills about the same  as the 20b did (with its porting and huge loads )  while using 18 grm loads that are much quieter and nicer to shoot in every way .reaching 30 - 35 yd birds with little effort .(40 is usually  too far ) 

I started with a mossburg pump Hushpower, but switched to an O/U Hushpower, as the Mossy length made it front heavy for me and difficult to swing.
The O/U comes up much better and I was quite happy using Gamebore Competition Hushpower in No5. I would also add that it was sometimes difficult to tell the difference in sound from the Hushpower cartridge and a standard 20ga cartridge, especially on windy/noisy days.