Hawke Red Dot

Lloyd90

On my Hawke red dot sight, there are two holes on the Mount that have springs in them, the springs push the mount clamp open when tension is taken off the screws, opening up the clamp making it easy to take on / off a pic rail. 

Unfortunately it seems one of the two springs on mine has compressed and stayed that way, not pushing back out.

Any ideas where I can find what size this spring is? I am hoping it’s a simple job of swapping it over. 

17 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

On my Hawke red dot sight, there are two holes on the Mount that have springs in them, the springs push the mount clamp open when tension is taken off the screws, opening up the clamp making it easy to take on / off a pic rail. 

Unfortunately it seems one of the two springs on mine has compressed and stayed that way, not pushing back out.

Any ideas where I can find what size this spring is? I am hoping it’s a simple job of swapping it over. 

Contact Hawke themselves, Lloyd. They may be able to help.

12 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

Contact Hawke themselves, Lloyd. They may be able to help.

Do you know who’s their importer in the U.K. Steve? Assume I contact them? 

When contacted in the past they got all wound up on providing original receipts etc etc. Just needs a small spring so I didn’t think they’d bother. 

Sounds a little unusual as you'd expect a spring to lose its tension noticeably over a period of time. Have you had a fiddle with a small pointy probe to see if it's 'hung up' on a burr in the drilled hole or even tried to remove both and compared the one with the other? I'm assuming here that the mount when open comes to a stop and residual tension is what holds the springs in place.

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

Sounds a little unusual as you'd expect a spring to lose its tension noticeably over a period of time. Have you had a fiddle with a small pointy probe to see if it's 'hung up' on a burr in the drilled hole or even tried to remove both and compared the one with the other? I'm assuming here that the mount when open comes to a stop and residual tension is what holds the springs in place.

The good one I was able to take out, the compressed / stuck one wouldn’t come out easily and I’ve left it alone for the time being. 

@steve_b_wales

I emailed Hawke with those details you gave me, sent at 12:20. 

Reply received at 12:40 to say they’re just going to post me a new mounting base 👍🏻 so sorted. 

Can’t argue with that. 

56 minutes ago, London Best said:

Just through reading on here, it seems to me that Hawke’s customer service has to be great because they have to replace so much of their stuff.

It’s not of the quality of Schmidt & Bender but then against it’s not the cost of S&B either 🤷‍♂️

5 hours ago, London Best said:

Just through reading on here, it seems to me that Hawke’s customer service has to be great because they have to replace so much of their stuff.

I've never had any issues with any Hawke products. If anything had to replaced it was due to the part etc being lost or damaged by myself.