Bank transfer

steve_b_wales

I think this has been mentioned before.

I sell quite a few items on various websites and have always prefer to be paid via bank transfer. So far, I've no issues. Yesterday, I had a reply from a person who wanted to purchase a set of suitcases that I'm selling on one of the Facebook cases. He offered the full amount without seeing them and then said that his daughter could collect them on her way to work, and would I accept payment by bank transfer as he didn't have cash at the moment.  Something told me that this wasn't right, and I replied that I would prefer payment by cash, and would be happy to keep the cases for him until he could get hold of cash. He didn't reply and to date, I haven't heard anything from him. It's said that bank transfer is 'safe' but I've heard or read of issues where the purchaser has claimed a refund. Not sure if this is true though.

You will always notice these scammers they reply withing minutes. Of you Add on marketplace.  

They can't make it but there  " who every "  can collect this. Afternoon. . 

How can they collect. When they have no idea were in the country you live .

At least with PayPal  you have some insurance. 

Just now, rbrowning2 said:

Banks can take the money back if they consider it a fraud transaction.

When selling i only ever accept cash on collection, far too many scammers on all selling platforms. 

As mentioned, I've sold many item's via bank transfers, varying from a few £ to £100+ (as are the suitcases) and I just had that feeling that after the suitcases were purchased, the guy would try and make a claim that they were in poor condition, as he would have not seen them before the purchase.

Just now, johnphilip said:

You will always notice these scammers they reply withing minutes. Of you Add on marketplace.  

They can't make it but there  " who every "  can collect this. Afternoon. . 

How can they collect. When they have no idea were in the country you live .

At least with PayPal  you have some insurance. 

Paypal is okay to a point, but the purchaser can claim a refund due to the goods etc not being 'as described', and Paypal usually side with the purchaser. I've had this done to me a few years ago to the value of £35!

The scams simple, you say yes, there's a knock on the door, you hand over the suitcases, all good, No, later that day there's another knock, it's the man's daughter, pop around for the suitcases, you've had them? Not me she says, this has happened to someone I know.      Be careful I thought I'd never get scammed but twice in one year. 

11 hours ago, CharlieT said:

Interestingly, I had an email alert from my bank this morning (Lloyds) warning of Facebook Marketplace scams. The Lloyds warning contained the following............

Never pay by bank transfer. Pay by debit or credit card to protect your money.

I had that too, not terribly useful for transactions between private individuals.

23 hours ago, CharlieT said:

Interestingly, I had an email alert from my bank this morning (Lloyds) warning of Facebook Marketplace scams. The Lloyds warning contained the following............

Never pay by bank transfer. Pay by debit or credit card to protect your money.

That’s helpful considering you can’t pay by card on person to person payments 🤣🤣