Where to take dead birds in the Cambridge area

Daffyduck

On 24/10/2023 at 18:15, Vince Green said:

Strange as it sounds I was told by one of my shooting friends that you need some sort of food hygiene licence to pass on any shot meat these days? 

I don't know if that is correct but somebody who knows more than I do can elaborate 

You may well be right , where I worked did have a hygiene licence as I had to alter the game larder we had , the larder was a large one and could easily hold 4 to 500 birds , the first job was to do away with all the timbers that had nails knocked in from the inside that held the game up , these were taken down with new timbers put back in place with either plastic or brass V brackets that would hold the game by it's head without affecting the skin , they also had to be put up so the birds didn't touch each other so each one put up was staggered on the next line of hooks , all the tables had to be replaced with stainless steal , washing facilities for whoever was touching the game with hot water and towels , and we were asked to put a drain in the brick floor for when the place was hosed out , we didn't do that as the boss didn't want the original bricks taken up so we changed the door step so the water would run out , so every time I took my Pigeons up to the dealer he put where I worked on the receipt . not sure if nowadays they would take game without the hygiene licence with the supermarkets mainly only selling game with non lead shot :hmm: