Starter gun for daughter

elmar fudd

My daughter (almost 7) has started showing an interest and has been out with me over the last few weeks, she’s started asking about having a go on targets and possibly clays, has anyone got anything small, .410 perhaps knocking around? Preferably as close to stoke on Trent as possible ideally, thanks in advance 

For a child so young and small I would start with a small air rifle,I imagine even the lightest.410 will feel too big and heavy for her,and even the low recoil will be more to a young child. 10 is probably a better start age with shotguns in my opinion.My nephew gives his 7 year old boy a few shots with his HW 97,but he struggles to even see through scope properly.

I would agree with the above. The challenge you have, is that a little single barrel 410 is light enough for a ‘littley’ to handle, but recoil is unpleasant (for them at least). A double barreled 410 is weighty enough to soak up the recoil but is awkwardly heavy for them. If their arms get tired in a few seconds it’s no good.  So there is you’re catch 22. It’s great that she’s showing interest, but there may be a couple of years to wait yet for shotgunning. Don’t worry, an air rifle on a bench will be marvelous fun for your daughter - and dad of course! 

P.S In addition to balloons try milk cartons filled with water. They seem to enjoy watching the water spirting out. 

hello, while there are very light air rifles around 5llb just for juniors plinking , we all know a static target and a flying target are 2 different shooting disciplines , same as a air rifle with open sights or a scope to a single barrel 410, i think most of us started with an air rifle and around 14 i got a double 410 of my own but shot a single well before. let us know how you get on 👍