And you wonder why some think that there are issues with the Metropolitan Police and motorists...

enfieldspares

4 hours ago, Scully said:

I’m not really following your train of thought if I’m honest; he was committing murder, no one has the authority to do that! 🤔

I see what your saying, but I think there's a very fine line between trust and authority, after all, any abuse of authority is by default already illegal. So a doctor who has authority to issue medication to someone without capacity, or even abuses his position of trust and instead of helping the patient, decides to issue a lethal dose killing them, is to my mind still guilty of a abuse of authority. To my mind, in Shipmans case it's the ultimate case

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

I see what you’re saying, but I think there's a very fine line between trust and authority, after all, any abuse of authority is by default already illegal. So a doctor who has authority to issue medication to someone without capacity, or even abuses his position of trust and instead of helping the patient, decides to issue a lethal dose killing them, is to my mind still guilty of a abuse of authority. To my mind, in Shipmans case it's the ultimate case

It’s indeed an abuse of the trust between a patient and doctor, fair enough, but anyone can refuse medication if they’re capable of making that decision.
Shipman abused his position of trust, but he couldn’t pull you over one night on your way home, unlike the police. 

GP’s have no authority over anyone who says no, the same cannot be said regarding the authority the police have; even if you know they’re wrong, there are often consequences to face by questioning or denying police authority. 

A while ago my youngest daughter was home and wanted a lift to the end of our road to catch the bus, to save time i took her in our old farm 4x4, we waited on the bus but he didnt notice my daughter and went past, unusually there was a police car behind the bus. my daughter got back in the car and we went to transfer over to the road legal van expecting to give her a lift to the village, having just set off, the bus appeared, returning to collect her, the policeman had stopped the bus and had told him to turn around and pick up his fare, I thanked the young policeman when i saw him and he replied no problem but make sure you insure that 4x4 before you use it on the road again, which i did [the vehicle is limited use]

Edited by islandgun

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

A while ago my youngest daughter was home and wanted a lift to the end of our road to catch the bus, to save time i took her in our old farm 4x4, we waited on the bus but he didnt notice my daughter and went past, unusually there was a police car behind the bus. my daughter got back in the car and we went to transfer over to the road legal van expecting to give her a lift to the village, having just set off, the bus appeared, returning to collect her, the policeman had stopped the bus and had told him to turn around and pick up his fare, I thanked the young policeman when i saw him and he replied no problem but make sure you insure that 4x4 before you use it on the road again, which i did [the vehicle is limited use]

You do live in a different time though, that runs parallel to the one the rest of us do, I would guess.

4 hours ago, Scully said:

It’s indeed an abuse of the trust between a patient and doctor, fair enough, but anyone can refuse medication if they’re capable of making that decision.
Shipman abused his position of trust, but he couldn’t pull you over one night on your way home, unlike the police. 

GP’s have no authority over anyone who says no, the same cannot be said regarding the authority the police have; even if you know they’re wrong, there are often consequences to face by questioning or denying police authority. 

I get your point although doctors to have alot of authority in that respect, they can section someone without a trail or force someone to take medication. Social services can remove someones child, a traffic warden could make you pay a fine. There's many people in positions of authority, that is of course open to abuse, just like the police.

1 hour ago, Penelope said:

You do live in a different time though, that runs parallel to the one the rest of us do, I would guess.

Possibly,  Not forgetting the single track roads and lack of traffic [ certainly in winter and at night] I was just offering an alternative viewpoint tbh

4 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Possibly,  Not forgetting the single track roads and lack of traffic [ certainly in winter and at night] I was just offering an alternative viewpoint tbh

They’re not all bad. Was sat in the pub last weekend when a barmaid asked me to get the seal off a bottle of whatever. Thumb nail wouldn’t do it so one of the locals asked me ‘ have you not got a knife?’ and put his hand in his pocket. I had, and used it to open the seal. So he seems a decent sort. 
He’s a retired Detective Inspector apparently…..not averse to sneaking home after a few bevvies of course. 😉

54 minutes ago, Scully said:

They’re not all bad. Was sat in the pub last weekend when a barmaid asked me to get the seal off a bottle of whatever. Thumb nail wouldn’t do it so one of the locals asked me ‘ have you not got a knife?’ and put his hand in his pocket. I had, and used it to open the seal. So he seems a decent sort. 
He’s a retired Detective Inspector apparently…..not averse to sneaking home after a few bevvies of course. 😉

no doubt he has a memorable number plate  starting DI  perhaps 😉

Edited by islandgun

Sometimes it's not the truth, it's what is perceived to be the truth. When someone asks for names, dates and times it sort of tries to herd things down a raceway.  To where..?  Here's a good example.  A shooting friend was employed as a technician by a force.  Things changed and departments were reduced and wound up. The main maintenance dept was one.  Various more senior officers came like a flight of geese and systematically loaded their cars with anything that was liftable.  They even dug up plants and shrubs to collect at the end of the day.  This was blatant theft BUT this sort of thing was normal.  Every year there was a winter order.  Stuff like wet weather gear, wellies, gloves, jackets, snow shovels,  aerosol cans of de-icer, yard brooms, All sorts of stuff.  Some winters, some of the stuff had been used a bit,,,,(we don't get much snow, if any down south here, odd bit gone by lunchtime. )  well come springtime all of the equipment had disappeared into the system.   No one ever said or questioned anything. This is what I mean about the truth or what is the real truth. Somewhere there should have been accountability but it didn't happen.  It was a minor thing and it would have cost more to examine the stocks and losses than to just order another load next year.  Who ever knew that it happened to question THE POLICE.  All a part of the problem.