Very slight barrel movement on Winchester 101

Wingman

Hello All

I went out for a round of clays today with my Winchester 101 Skeet.  I have owned the gun a while and grown to really love the way it handles and been using it a fair bit.  Probably put a good 1000 shells through it since I've had it and its not missed a beat.  Today during cleaning I noticed a very slight amount of lateral play on the barrels about 1mm left to right when the forend is removed.  It seems rock solid once the forend is back on so not sure if its an emerging problem or not.  Gun is in excellent original condition and was apparently lightly used as a dedicated skeet gun by the prior owner. 

Any thoughts or advice, should I plan for a gunsmith visit or is it normal? 

Edited by Wingman

Many guns seem to have some play in the action when the forend is off . Tightening an O/U action to take out side movement  is not a simple job believe me . 

As long as the gun is on face and has sufficient bite to lock up without any movement then I would not worry too much .

If you are concerned then a visit to a competent gunsmiths have it checked would be my advise so he could check the joint and that there sufficient clearances under the barrel wings and around the forend /action interface , as with age and use , these  can close up which in turn lead to further problems  .

17 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Some Winchester 101s were loose when they left the factory. If it bothers you get it fixed - a cheap enough job. If not - just carry on shooting it.

What is the top lever position?

Thanks everyone for the advice. Regarding Gordon's question about the top lever it's sitting dead centre. Having read up on a lot of the US websites for the 101 it seems that they come like this from the factory unlike others where the top lever sits to the right when new. Not sure if that's correct or not?

22 hours ago, Gordon R said:

I have owned a number of Winchester 101s - fine guns. I had a couple tightened up, so the lever was over to the right, but some were perfectly tight with the lever dead central. I had a new one in the early 1980s and that was central from new.

When new , a top lever, when closing the gun ( not slamming shut )  should finish just to the right of center , which should then with a gentle pressure come to center . After some use and the action has " settled or bedded down" the lever should then come to center on closing .

There are a lot of " shoulds " here but thats in an ideal world which we all know is not always the real world .

5 hours ago, Gunman said:

When new , a top lever, when closing the gun ( not slamming shut )  should finish just to the right of center , which should then with a gentle pressure come to center . After some use and the action has " settled or bedded down" the lever should then come to center on closing .

There are a lot of " shoulds " here but thats in an ideal world which we all know is not always the real world .

Every days a school day. 👍 
I have three 101’s, the top levers of which are all central.

I think the 8500 may JUST be starting to creep to left of centre. 

If you look at the fore end of a 101 where it meets the action, you will notice a notch that meets the central pivoting pin when the barrels are closed in the action. This keeps the gun tight when closed. You don’t see this on Miroku or Beretta made guns.
So a slight lateral tollerance with a broken 101 is nothing to worry about. 

Edited by reindeer
Typing mistake