Can anyone hazard a guess.

30-6

Took a friend out last night, not the best night as no wind, but it was the only night available due to bad weather coming.

Lot of woodcock and a few rabbits and owls. No definite sightings of fox. But two sightings left us baffled.

First one, put caller out about 60 yds away close to a bank as a backstop on a vixen mating call. Within 5 minutes, 3 separate heat sources are looking over the bank about 20 yds apart. With the vegetation I could see them in the spotter but not tidy in the nv scope.

Second one, different area picked up something with spotter in a hedge. Looked foxy. Had scope on it for about 15 minutes and could see a pair of eyes moving back and fore looking at me. Tried gentle squeaking but it wasn't interested. In the end it won and we moved on. Put it down to fox or cat.

Any suggestions ?

Might add, there are no gamebirds on this land.

9 hours ago, 30-6 said:

That's why I don't fancy a thermal scope, even if target identified, you are just aiming at a blob.

That's not true look on LF on FB i put up two videos yesterday shooting foxes and the one was at 280 mtrs and you can see clearly its a fox thermals today are so advanced they are brilliant i've seen so much with thermal that you won't see with nv 

To be honest I was going by my spotter's image and footage I've seen on YouTube. I have never looked through a thermal scope and can imagine that some of them have come in leaps and bounds, and are continuing to get better as nv did.

I don't do Facebook but will get someone to show me what you said.👍

what does the LF mean in your post ?

On 06/12/2023 at 16:10, 30-6 said:

ithin 5 minutes, 3 separate heat sources are looking over the bank about 20 yds apart. With the vegetation I could see them in the spotter but not tidy in the nv scope.

On 06/12/2023 at 18:47, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, to me that seems to be the problem with thermal, just seeing heat blobs and difficult to identify 🤔

On 06/12/2023 at 22:32, 30-6 said:

That's why I don't fancy a thermal scope, even if target identified, you are just aiming at a blob.

I've not looked through a thermal scope, but what I've seen on others videos are fantastic. 

There's not much I can't identify with my thermal,  it's never just a blob, and mines an old unit, the newer models will be better again.

A good thermal and NV combination must be fantastic for night shooting. 

I'd be thinking badger for the three?