Bulge

Topgun113

On 12/12/2023 at 11:01, arjimlad said:

It is worth checking home insurance.

In about 1996 I had an inexplicable ring bulge just in front of the monobloc joint on the bottom barrel of an E.Rizzini OU, which wrote the gun off (a bit scary really, good job I clean the guns after every outing & had spotted it). 

My gunshop wrote a letter about it and supported a claim for accidental damage on my contents insurance, which paid out the £399 new cost of the gun subject to an excess. I then bought a Lanber which is still in regular use. 

All my firearms etc are covered by my house insurance under 'sporting goods'. May be worth you checking if you have this?

Check your insurance exeption's  , Many years ago we were done by a well known pair of thieves in our area and despite our insurance policy saying all  contents of brick built out building's are covered fully it suddenly transpired that the insurance would not pay out for 1 Arai crash helmet and 1 Shoie helmet ( the most expensive items taken) as they were  suddenly classed as accessories for motor vehicles , F  F S.

Edited by Andy H

9 hours ago, Andy H said:

Check your insurance exeption's  , Many years ago we were done by a well known pair of thieves in our area and despite our insurance policy saying all  contents of brick built out building's are covered fully it suddenly transpired that the insurance would not pay out for 1 Arai crash helmet and 1 Shoie helmet ( the most expensive items taken) as they were  suddenly classed as accessories for motor vehicles , F  F S.

They are actually PPE, this government link clearly states this.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/protective-equipment-and-vat-notice-70123

17 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

All my firearms etc are covered by my house insurance under 'sporting goods'. May be worth you checking if you have this?

Same here, thankfully it covered the cost of having a dent lifted from a barrel on my Westley Richards,  after a fall 

On 11/12/2023 at 13:52, Gunman said:

Obstruction , oil in the barrel , faulty cartridge  etc. As you do not know when the bulge occurred it will now be near impossible to pin point the exact cause .  Speaking as a Gunsmith  ,you may just  have to accept it was just one of those things that defies explanation . 

As Gunman rightly says, excess OIL, in the barrel can cause this too. That is why I NEVER put oil inside any of my gun barrels. Preferring to use silicon impregnated socks to store the guns in instead.

2 hours ago, simcgunner said:

barrel is scrap even if beaten down and re-blued they will not pass reproof.

Where did you get that information from? If the work is done properly it most certainly will pass reproof. The trouble is where the bulge is. The thicker metal up near the fore end does not "work" like it does further down the barrel. I have knocked back hundreds if not 1000's of bulges over a 36 year period. where you have .030 of metal you can virtually do what you want with dents and bulges. But where the fore end is the metal is so thick you end up just beating the metal with a hammer and not a lot happens. By the way, taking a bulge out of a barrel does not require reproof unless you enlarge the bore beyond its proof tolerance. I have on occasion sent one or two for reproof because the bulge was very bad and took a lot tapping to work it back so sent for good measure. And they pass. 

Edited by Fil
sshpelling