How do all you drivers cope with glare or dazzle by others headlights?

Pushkin

On 15/12/2023 at 11:12, Mice! said:

Like I said IF THEY HAVE LIGHTS, I see people every day leaving work with a tiny little bike light, so small and weak it's not really visible, and our place is like wacky races with a thousand or so finishing shift at the same time, I wear hi vis just crossing the road to the car park, and generally come out ten minutes late deliberately to let the idiots get-away. 

Any pedestrians or cyclists getting killed by cars is tragic, but there are a lot of options these days to make yourself very visible,  when I'm on the lanes I'm normally going very reasonably with main beams on, because a red deer jumping out won't be lit up!

Some of us do carry decent lights, I generally carry 1 of 3 of the following when in the dark:

Nitecore MH12S - 1800lumen - diffuse beam

Chinese XHP70 torch - 2000 lumen - diffuse beam to spotlight beam roughly 12ft at 50 yards.

Chinese XHP70 headlight - 2000lumen  - diffuse beam

All more than capable at making my presence known!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

Some of us do carry decent lights, I generally carry 1 of 3 of the following when in the dark:

Nitecore MH12S - 1800lumen - diffuse beam

Chinese XHP70 torch - 2000 lumen - diffuse beam to spotlight beam roughly 12ft at 50 yards.

Chinese XHP70 headlight - 2000lumen  - diffuse beam

All more than capable at making my presence known!

I was out tonight on an unlit road, two people walking their dog with torches both red and white, nothing powerful but they stood out well.

I wore my yellow safety glasses for the first time driving tonight,  the yellow glasses I bought were OK but the lenses were small, the safety ones cover a lot more, I was out around 5pm with a lot of traffic and the glasses really take the glare off the on coming cars, definitely worth buying a pair and seeing how you get on.

Having read this thread and also suffer the glare when driving at night, I bought a pair of yellow tinted lenses that clip onto my glasses and tried them for the first time last night. They were only cheap, but I must admit that they certainly take the glare out of oncoming traffic, so a good buy at £12.99.

I wish that I had bought them sooner, but can only thank the PW members who recommended yellow tints to overcome this problem.

OB