Knife sharpener recommendations

Big Al

I have a fairly simple DMT system set, seen here with an O'Pinel, (and propped up on an Quink ink bottle).

Knife blade held in a clamp which has two guides to set the angle for the two sides.  Diamond stone held in a handle which has a steel rod attached that runs in the guides.  My set has 5 stones from very coarse to extra fine.  Works well for me.

3B8A794B-45D7-43F6-876F-B792FD279EF9_1_201_a.jpeg 

Guide here; https://www.dmtsharp.com/resources/sharpening-instructions.html

Edited by JohnfromUK

4 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I have a fairly simple DMT system set, seen here with an O'Pinel, (and propped up on an Quink ink bottle).

Knife blade held in a clamp which has two guides to set the angle for the two sides.  Diamond stone held in a handle which has a steel rod attached that runs in the guides.  My set has 5 stones from very coarse to extra fine.  Works well for me.

3B8A794B-45D7-43F6-876F-B792FD279EF9_1_201_a.jpeg 

Guide here; https://www.dmtsharp.com/resources/sharpening-instructions.html

👍

For a while, I've been using a Lansky which I have found to be adequate.  I like it because you know that you're obtaining a repeatable angle on the blade.  More recently, I've been getting improved results by following on with a stropping board coated with chromium oxide powder.

However, my brother has recently bought a Horl sharpener, again, backed up with a stropping board which seems to be provide better results than the Lansky.  I think I'll be upgrading to a Horl soon.  My butcher has started stocking them which provides me with additional confidence that it's a good system.

HORL Sharpener | Second Generation Sharpness | HORL-1993

T

1 hour ago, Touchstone said:

For a while, I've been using a Lansky which I have found to be adequate.  I like it because you know that you're obtaining a repeatable angle on the blade.  More recently, I've been getting improved results by following on with a stropping board coated with chromium oxide powder.

However, my brother has recently bought a Horl sharpener, again, backed up with a stropping board which seems to be provide better results than the Lansky.  I think I'll be upgrading to a Horl soon.  My butcher has started stocking them which provides me with additional confidence that it's a good system.

HORL Sharpener | Second Generation Sharpness | HORL-1993

T

Thanks Touchstone. They do look great but I was budgeting for Lansky or Work Sharp systems.

I think I've narrowed the field to Lansky or Work Sharp. 

Lansky is tried and tested but seems unusable without buying the extra stand. 

Work sharp Precision (the aluminium one) is a complete system but I can't find anywhere that sells new stones.

Edit : I have now found somewhere who sells the work sharp stones. Work Sharp takes the lead.

Edited by Big Al
Additional information