Windscreen Wash

1 hour ago, billytheghillie said:

Beware of some screen wash, When i had my Vitara certain brands would gunge up in the pipe work and blocked the bottom of the reservoir.

I found that this was caused by a black gunge forming in the bottom of any container that I premixed screenwash in,  and then left it unused for a while. I now mix the stuff and use it straight away.  I have been using a concentrated wash, mixed 50/50 with water. That has neither frozen in the system, or when sprayed on the screen.

On 19/01/2024 at 07:40, London Best said:

I just use a garage. No scraping, no spraying, no warm water for the last 38 years since I built the garage.
Incidentally, I always found the bigger problem with freezing screen wash is the jet nozzles freezing rather than the fluid freezing on the screen.

My Kuga has heated nozzles. They dont work and keep blocking up BUT THEY ARE HEATED!

My wife's old Micra has a problem with the washer pipework inline check valves getting damage by frost. Sorted the front one but don't know where the rear one is, so that one no longer. Works. Thought It was the nozzles at first but soon found it wasn't.

only use neat anti freeze now.

1 hour ago, Good shot? said:

My wife's old Micra has a problem with the washer pipework inline check valves getting damage by frost. Sorted the front one but don't know where the rear one is, so that one no longer. Works. Thought It was the nozzles at first but soon found it wasn't.

only use neat anti freeze now.

I had a slight problem with my last Honda and windscreen washers. The filter in the bottom of the washer bottle kept blocking with the dreaded gunge. Using some washer plastic pipe and assorted plumbing and garden hose attachments, I made an adaptor to connect my garden hose to washers. I then pulled the plastic washer hose off a T piece on the bulkhead, connected my adaptor, and the 'back flushed' the system. This blew all the muck back into the washer bottle.  I left it running until most of the muck flooded out of the top of the washer bottle, the refilled the system. Problem sorted. The washer bottle is under the front offside wing on a CRV, involving major surgery to remove it.

On 19/01/2024 at 07:40, London Best said:

I always found the bigger problem with freezing screen wash is the jet nozzles freezing rather than the fluid freezing on the screen.

Always a real pain, that. Recently drove the 35 miles to my shoot and couldn't use the washers as the jets kept freezing up, until at least mid morning.