Cambridgeshire application waiting time SGC

Cyd

Hello everyone!

Has anyone in this group received approval for a new SGC application recently in Cambs/Beds/Herts ? If so, how long did you have to wait?

I submitted my application last September, but I haven't received any updates yet, aside from being informed that they are currently busy. I was optimistic, thinking that the resumption of new applications meant the backlog had been cleared, but it seems I may have been mistaken.

15 hours ago, Cyd said:

Hello everyone!

Has anyone in this group received approval for a new SGC application recently in Cambs/Beds/Herts ? If so, how long did you have to wait?

I submitted my application last September, but I haven't received any updates yet, aside from being informed that they are currently busy. I was optimistic, thinking that the resumption of new applications meant the backlog had been cleared, but it seems I may have been mistaken.

Hi Cyd and welcome.

Nothing wrong with giving them a ring - they owe you a duty of service. Perhaps contact the constabulary HQ rather than firearms, highlighting an issue with their service level. If it’s a polite and reasonable enquiry, they can’t hold it against you, a fair ask, even if only to understand the time frame and why the delay. 

Hope you get your licence soon - you must be excited about choosing your first gun!

Thank you for the warm welcome. I have learned a lot from reading Pigeon Watch. I remember the discussion here was a good source of information, like when applications were paused last April, just a few days before I tried to apply first time.

I inquired about wait times twice, but only got a "we're busy" response with no details. From googling, the only info I found was outdated BASC reports. I also saw FAC waits were 8 months a year and a half ago, but not sure if that correlates with SGC and that was before period of suspension.

I understand they're understaffed and prioritizing renewals, but a year waits don't sound good.

8 hours ago, Fellside said:

Perhaps contact the constabulary HQ rather than firearms

Could you point out how to find their contacts?

8 hours ago, Fellside said:

Hope you get your licence soon - you must be excited about choosing your first gun!

I was frequently browsing GunTrader and had selected a few guns, but they got sold before I could buy them. So I stopped browsing there for now, until I have my license in hand. :)

1 hour ago, Cyd said:

Thank you for the warm welcome. I have learned a lot from reading Pigeon Watch. I remember the discussion here was a good source of information, like when applications were paused last April, just a few days before I tried to apply first time.

I inquired about wait times twice, but only got a "we're busy" response with no details. From googling, the only info I found was outdated BASC reports. I also saw FAC waits were 8 months a year and a half ago, but not sure if that correlates with SGC and that was before period of suspension.

I understand they're understaffed and prioritizing renewals, but a year waits don't sound good.

Could you point out how to find their contacts?

I was frequently browsing GunTrader and had selected a few guns, but they got sold before I could buy them. So I stopped browsing there for now, until I have my license in hand. :)

Hi Cyd,

I’m not familiar with their contacts - but have just looked online. The number for Cambridgeshire Constabulary HQ is 01480 456111. See if you can give them some ‘helpful feedback’ and ask if anyone can help. I know what answer you’ll probably get - but you never know. I’m afraid the system appears to be broken in many areas now. Good luck. 

On 07/02/2024 at 08:36, Westley said:

A Friend living in Thames Valley has waited over 12 months for his Certificate grant to materialise. Phone calls just got "It takes as long as it takes" responses.

It is sad to hear. I hope waiting time in Cambridgeshire won't be so long.

Hi Cyd, 

Im in the same boat as you ATM, applied early august and yet to hear anything and no luck on a reply for the enquiry I made a couple of weeks ago. Now as luck would have it BCH firearms are attending the British Shooting show so I'm going to have a chat with them then to see if I can get an actual idea for wait times. I will update with the results after the show. Hopefully we've not got much more of a wait now. 

6 hours ago, Matt95 said:

Now as luck would have it BCH firearms are attending the British Shooting show so I'm going to have a chat with them then to see if I can get an actual idea for wait times. I will update with the results after the show.

Hi Matt95,

It would be wonderful! I was thinking to visit British Shooting show too, but seems it won't be possible this year.

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Why can't you attend the show?

Need to find a volunteer to cover my work oncall on the day of the trip. It is hard for weekends, but maybe worth trying to get a day off for Friday... Is there any difference in visiting on Friday or on weekends? I heard about similar shows in Italy, that the first day is only for bloggers/newsagents and dealers company. Is it the same here?

Cambs firearms were always the fastest responding FEOs of any but they've been merged with other counties so now we struggle along like everyone else. They have also stopped allowing you to write "loan" on a shotgun transfer, it has to be "sold" or "given", which I think is a legal issue. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/02/2024 at 10:45, Matt95 said:

Now as luck would have it BCH firearms are attending the British Shooting show so I'm going to have a chat with them then to see if I can get an actual idea for wait times.

I have been today to show. Tried to ask them about wait times. The answer was as usual, that they can't provide any info, but average should be 6 months. I think 6 months is somewhat too optimistic. Curious what they will tell you.

18 hours ago, Cyd said:

I have been today to show. Tried to ask them about wait times. The answer was as usual, that they can't provide any info, but average should be 6 months. I think 6 months is somewhat too optimistic. Curious what they will tell you.

So had a chat with them and with regards to wait times I also got told about 6 months but that  they are prioritising renewals which is fair but they are very busy. I also asked about how long the medical pro-forma is valid for and if it was worth me getting a new one as I don’t want to get the phone call and then have to delay the process even further having to get a new one done and they said it’s valid for 12 months and they do normally get them done before in that time. So if we take the average it’s about 9 months which isn’t far off what I was told by one of my local gun shops yesterday. 

Lincs Firearms had mine to me in just over 3 weeks of applying last August. I applied they came out 10 days later to see the safe I had installed. And my license arrived shortly after. 

I could not recommend them more for efficiency and just being generally nice people. 

I know we're scarcely populated here but I can't see why it would take so long elsewhere? 

For what it’s worth, North Yorkshire took near enough 6 months, the ball started rolling when I rang up and said I needed it or I’d miss out on an event.

Amazed they gave in to emotional blackmail. Lucky it didn't go to the back of the queue. 🙂

Edited by Gordon R

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but just spoke with a chap at Cambridge gun club who has been waiting for 18 months.

I applied in Nov 23 so now prepared for a long wait. Went to Gun show earlier this month and spoke with Beds, Herts, Cambs stand and a total waste of time. A waste of taxpayers money having a stand as no point and no information on anything. I would rather pay 3 times the cost and have a decent service with 3 month turn around time max. The system is not fit for purpose and requires a total overhall. Shooting UK advises to write to local Police commissioner to complain otherwise nothing will happen to move forward. Good luck all.

31 minutes ago, Jon Le Pad said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but just spoke with a chap at Cambridge gun club who has been waiting for 18 months.

It is quite disheartening to hear, but still thanks for the info 😞

11 hours ago, Cyd said:

It is quite disheartening to hear, but still thanks for the info 😞

Yes very disheartening but always hope things will improve. I wote to the police commissioner and they have replied that new funding is in place to help with backlog and improve training & waiting times. The more people write tha more they will realise the syatem needs changing.  If we sit back and do nothing then nothing will ever improve. This I expect will take time but in all honesty the system is not fit for purpose. On another note I see moderators will be removed from licensing over the coming months but not confirmed just yet. We can always hope that things will get better🤞

PCC elections and firearms licensing

We need your help to write to Police and Crime Commissioners (PCCs) on firearms licensing in advance of the PCC elections on 2 May.

This page allows you to identify your candidates and email them with a letter on improving the efficiency of firearms licensing. Please ensure that any replies that you receive are forwarded to politics@basc.org.uk.

https://basc.org.uk/pcc-contact-page/#select

On 28/02/2024 at 16:43, Arpee said:

Lincs Firearms had mine to me in just over 3 weeks of applying last August. I applied they came out 10 days later to see the safe I had installed. And my license arrived shortly after. 

I could not recommend them more for efficiency and just being generally nice people. 

I know we're scarcely populated here but I can't see why it would take so long elsewhere? 

I am in Lincs and submitted an SGC application on the 21st of March and got a call on the 27th asking if I were available this morning (2nd of April) which I gladly agreed to. I'd have bet it would have been earlier had it not been for the bank holiday.

It was a positive meeting and my referee has been contacted so hopefully I'll be getting a certificate through the door shortly!

I honestly can't believe how quick it has been. I was settled in for the long haul once id submitted so I'm very impressed with the efficiency of the Lincolnshire FEO.

6 hours ago, Bozork said:

I am in Lincs and submitted an SGC application on the 21st of March and got a call on the 27th asking if I were available this morning (2nd of April) which I gladly agreed to. I'd have bet it would have been earlier had it not been for the bank holiday.

It was a positive meeting and my referee has been contacted so hopefully I'll be getting a certificate through the door shortly!

I honestly can't believe how quick it has been. I was settled in for the long haul once id submitted so I'm very impressed with the efficiency of the Lincolnshire FEO.

Great news to hear Bozork and a positive response from Lincs Firearms team. Shows how the job can be done in a very timely manner and puts the rest to shame. Hopefully you will get License in a matter of days and be able to go shopping soon :) Good luck