Two book recommendations.

JDog

I am not sure if there is a book section on PW. Here goes in 'off topic'.

Two books I have had a great deal of pleasure (and information) from are 'A time of gifts' by Patrick Leigh Fermor and 'Countryman's Cooking' by WMW Fowler. These two Gentlemen are made of the right sort of stuff, the sort that is rarely seen nowadays. Give them a try, there are lots of cheap ones on eBay.

I show the cover on 'A time of gifts' and the first page of the introduction of 'Countryman's Cooking', the latter which tells you all you need to know about the author.

IMG_2024-02-15-14-28-17-065~2.jpg

IMG_2024-02-15-14-27-23-596.jpg

Edited by JDog

Where else would you find in a chapter titled "Mutton" such detailed information concerning the same, "Put a bullet, or humane killer bolt at right angles through the sheep's skull, in the centre of the forehead and an inch above the level of the eyes". 

A delight to read !

Bought my OH ‘The Farmets Wife’ : A Life in Days ( which the author signed ) for Christmas, as they are local, and read it after her. Enjoyed it so much I bought her husbands book ‘The Shepherd's Life: A Tale of the Lake District’, which is excellent if you know nothing about sheep, otherwise hard going but highly recommendable. Reading about a year through the English seasons is never a chore. 
I also have by the same author, ‘English Pastoral: An Inheritance’, about which a farming mate of mine tells me is a much better book. 
The first one however, should not be ignored or overlooked. 
I find it hard not to compare everything I read regarding shooting, fishing or the country way of life in general to the lyrical writing of John Humphrey, so any subsequent authors have a hard yardstick by which to compare. 
I did however, enjoy very much the above books. 

17 hours ago, islandgun said:

Interesting. Looked it up, would you recommend it.l🤓

I would, not an easy read but fascinating following the evolutionary trail. I have it on kindle which is useful for most quick explanations of content.

An eye opener.