C.S.Rosson BNE Side by Side

For Sale - £195.00 o.n.o

My late fathers C.S.Rosson 12g sxs Boxlock Non Ejector 

Very good condition 

Comes with original sales receipt from 17.1.58 from Norwich outlet of C.S.Rosson & Co Ltd Gun and Cartridge Makers £63/15/0 which I think is amazing 

I’m lucky to have had an A4 sheet of the guns background 

Highlights

Gun actually made by gunmaker Charles Hellis & Son which is not surprising as Charles Hellis & Son in 1950 bought C S Rosson after the death of Charles Stanley Rosson during January that year, gun was built in 1952

There was a mistake made in the serial numbering of this gun with two guns given the same number and the other has been given an extra A to differentiate between the two

It has 2.3/4” chambers, 28” barrels weight 7lb 2oz proofed for 1.1/4 ounce loads

This is a right handed shotgun

Stock length is 14 1/2”

I have no way of measuring chokes but I would imagine Dad would have had 1/4 and 1/2 or something similar 

the barrels are clean and shiny no pitting. My late father drilled into me the luxury of owning a shotgun and the need to look after them

I would consider Air Gun or Air Pistol as part exchange on this ( no FAC no precharged)

F4B8BC1E-D32C-4A6F-9F62-890E7D90C768.jpeg

19ECC7B6-DC87-478F-89E1-07283025B562.jpeg

3852D54B-CDE9-476F-9517-0F17FFBE5208.jpeg

I am selling, for a number of reasons. 1 A recent personal health scare frightened my wife on what to do with my guns if or when I depart this mortal coil. 2 I was brought up shooting o/u and SxS I find totally alien. 3 it’s too lovely to deactivate. 4 I am lucky to own a family hammer gun which I wouldn’t part with so I still retaining a connection to Dad and Grandfather. 5 l have nothing against shooting game etc but I no longer want to shoot anything other than clays. 

That said I agree, it is a piece of local history especially with the original receipt, and evidence of why English engineering was once so great

3 hours ago, Michael300970 said:

I am selling, for a number of reasons. 1 A recent personal health scare frightened my wife on what to do with my guns if or when I depart this mortal coil. 2 I was brought up shooting o/u and SxS I find totally alien. 3 it’s too lovely to deactivate. 4 I am lucky to own a family hammer gun which I wouldn’t part with so I still retaining a connection to Dad and Grandfather. 5 l have nothing against shooting game etc but I no longer want to shoot anything other than clays. 

That said I agree, it is a piece of local history especially with the original receipt, and evidence of why English engineering was once so great

Apologies, it wasn't my intent to pry into your personal circumstances. Its just I'd have given my (metaphorical) right arm to have some of my familys old guns.

Anyway, the condition it looks to be in is a testament to the previous owners - I hope it gets the same care and brings the same joy to its new one's.

If you were a bit closer, and my cabinet wasn't overflowing with side by sides, I'd be sorely tempted.

8 hours ago, PeterHenry said:

Apologies, it wasn't my intent to pry into your personal circumstances. Its just I'd have given my (metaphorical) right arm to have some of my familys old guns.

Anyway, the condition it looks to be in is a testament to the previous owners - I hope it gets the same care and brings the same joy to its new one's.

If you were a bit closer, and my cabinet wasn't overflowing with side by sides, I'd be sorely tempted.

Absolutely no offence taken, your comment was very reasonable I just thought I’d be totally transparent, the gun is worth so much more. However clearly it isn’t otherwise it would sold. Sadly the only true value is the point when a buyer and seller agree. I have one more .410 that is a bit different to sell. But only if this SxS finds a new home first.

The reason why older SxS are only worth a few pounds is the average age of who has one and wants one most are  over 50 + I tried to sell a Thomas Bland recently and ended up giving it to an elderly gentleman I know, the market changes with the passage of time. GLWTS. 

Edited by Nublue 22

21 hours ago, Dodder said:

Not being funny but how can that possibly only be worth £195?  It looks lovely and I think the world of s/h guns had gone mad...

Maybe it's a good time to buy. All it's going to take is someone to invent a non toxic shot that's soft as lead with the price tag of steel😊

• 3 weeks later...